1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need some buying advice please

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by ned5485, Jan 18, 2008.

1. ned5485

ned5485 Member

I am looking for a truck to pull my landscape trailer. I dont think it will ever get much heavier than 5,000 pounds, so I guess a 1/2 ton will due. I was wanting a 3/4 ton, nut am not having a whole lot of luck around here. I am looking to spend $10-12,000. So far everything I see in that price range has more than 100,000 miles. I have read recent threads that say it is a "buyers market" and that KBB is to high right now, but i do not have any other way to know what is a "fair price" So I thought that you guys could give me an idea of how many miles $10k should afford. I would prefer a Ford, but my only real requirements are ext/quad cab and 4x4. I would prefer for the truck to be less than 10 years old. It seems like I am giving myself some pretty broad parameter.

So, what I want to know is how few of miles should I be able to afford?

2. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

i have a friend here in Kansas who is a truck dealer. For 10k he can get you a pretty good truck. I just bought a 98 dodge 3500 4x4 short bed auto with all service records for 6500.00. pm me amd ill give you his number if you are interested
  3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i would think a diesel w/ 100,000 miles is about the right price range for quad 4x4...not for gas though..IMO you should google some places like truck trader, ebay, ect to get a better feel for what is costing what
  4. ned5485

ned5485 Member

Thanks, I appreciate the help, but I imagine after the time, fuel, and plane ticket I might not be getting a deal anymore.

From what i have seen, it sounds like you got a good deal though. What was the mileage like? What was the rust like?
  5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

dont just look at mileage. look at mileage and condition. a truck can be beat with 10k on it for mileage if it was plowed hard all 10k. some people just beat their vehicles.
    when you talk to a seller remember almost all of them think their truck is worth more than it really is or use nada and kbb but make sure YOU only use them as a guide. The vehicle is really worth what you are willing to pay for it and what it is worth to you. This isnt about being fair. It is about what the truck is worth to YOU.
    DO NOT BE AFRAID TO PASS ON A VEHICLE if you have doubts or are not sure. I have made this mistake myself and bought cars just because i was tired of looking at cars and wanted it done and over. Dont be afraid to offer them a lot lower than they are asking. They may get upset but they may call you back in a week and take your offer or come back with a counter offer closer to what you want.
  6. ned5485

ned5485 Member

I understand about the codition. For this discussion we can assume all of the trucks are in equal condition. Somewhere between good and excellent. Also, I didnt mention it earlier, but I have been looking at gas. I think the upfront cost of a diesel is definitely made up for in the long run, but think I can better afford gas this time. Hopefully will go diesel on the next one.

Also, around here trucks with plows are rare. So, I am pricing without plows. Am I just hoping for to much or should I be able to find a truck with 60-70k miles for $10,000?
  7. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

I just bought a 97 F350 with 83,000 miles on it and a 7.5 Meyer plow that I though was a cream puff for $9500. The next week the oil pan started leaking like a sieve and I had to put another $2k into a pan and main bearings. It is going to need pads and rotors soon as well as front axle shafts and a water pump.

So yes, to ask for a 98+ with under 100k for $10,000 is dreaming, at least in these here parts.
  8. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

9. ned5485

ned5485 Member

Thanks, I was afriad of that. Even if its a 1/2 ton?
  10. ned5485

ned5485 Member

11. WheelerandSon

WheelerandSon Member

I just bought a truck last year near Chicago. It is a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 crew cab. It had almost 100,000 miles and I think I paid close to $14,000 for her. It has been a great truck. Don't let miles fool you, I have bought alot of vehicles with near or more than 100,000 miles. If they have been taken care of, they will be great vehicles. I have had more problems with brand new vehicles with 0 miles on them, then I have had with used with alot of miles on them.

1/2 ton will probably do the trick. you can always beef up suspension later if needed, but 3/4 ton is always nice to have.

I have always had luck with www.autotrader.com, or even www.traderonline.com Try to steer clear of ebay. If you do go with ebay, or any other auction site, I always say it isn't worth buying site un seen (even if pics are avail.), unless you can physically go inspect prior to buying. This way you have a better idea of what you are getting. Do not fall victim to a "too good to be true" deal halfway accross the country. It has happened to all of us.

Good luck with your purchase, and let me know if I can be of any help. I am not that far from you (Davenport, IA about 3 1/2 hour west of Chicago). I have many friends in the truck/car business. Even know a couple who own their own dealerships.

12. smithplowrepair

smithplowrepair Junior Member

Ford Truck Question

No, that truck is not worth $6000 without it having alot of added maintenace. Tell them $4500, especially with cash and the market at a standstill.
  13. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

try the local newpaper. i dont understand your area but i will say that i bought my 2000 chevy half ton last year. Not a scratch on it. 42k miles. paid 13k but they wrote it up giving me fifteen hundred over my trade in value so it actually came to 11500 i got a used fisher hd (which i since traded for a rd) with it too. I wasnt real happy with the purchase and bought it because i was tired of looking and it was basically what i wanted but it still sounds better than what you are mentioning you are finding.
    friend just sold his 2500hd 2001 with 80k on it with plow for 9000 private party and let a trailer go with it. maybe it depends on where you look and where you live. i would try the local papers or other means.

if your willing to take a chance look for auction vehicles. i have had a few of them and it is hit or miss. but you can get them way below book. or check local banks and credit unions. they will often auction with sealed bids the vehicles they repossess. again. buyer beware but if your just looking for mileage and price....... they will let you look at the vehicle of course but nothing too in depth. Remember too just because someone is asking twelve k it doesnt mean they wont take ten k.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  14. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

he has different trucks or can find you one. he just bought out a snow company all of the trucks i should say. it isnt far from indiana to kc. only cost me around 1100 to get big red back to kc. with fuel and plane tickets