1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need some advise with clearing Condo's / Townhouses, skid or toolcat

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Kodiakguy, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

We have a couple of tight townhome / condo developments to maintain. Roads and all. All three prop's are close to each other, totaling just over 200 drives, plus streets and drives that service multiple clusters of buildings. We have been doing these for a couple of years, but need to improve effeciency to add more accounts.

We average 80-90 inches of snow each season, and on average are always good for two storms that dump 24 inches in 24 hours.

There is very little space to stack snow half way through the season. 3/4 ton trucks are capable of doing the job, but their tuff to menuver in tight areas and take a more time than I would like. (plows have wings on them, not running v-blades yet but wish we were)

Im looking to speed up my production, so I know we need a skid with a pusher that has a pullback kit on it (prob the scoopdog)

My question(s) are If you were in my situation, whats the best bang for my buck, what would you do;

Skidsteer with pusher, and if so Bobcat, JD, or New Holland, or a Tool Cat.

I have heard Bobcat has drive motor issues with skids and the Tool Cats. I havent heard many bad things about the JD's or NH's. I will need a med sized machine. I cant use blowers because there's not enuf space. Small utility vehicles like polaris rangers and JD Gators are too light and lack the power for the snow we end up with.

Any help and advise would be appriciated.

2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search: Ebling blades on a truck or tractor, blowers on skiddys, (i've proven they work in almost all condo situations) inverted blowers, the pxpl blower, large snow bucket on skiddy, tractor with a bucket or blade and a blower on the back, and the list can go on. To have a project as you describe with the quantity of snow listed, the amount of money this project should bring in should easily cover the cost of a Bi-directional tractor and pxpl blower. The efficency is almost impossible to beat and even though it looks like a large tractor, you can do u-turns in a 2 car driveway.

3. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have not heard of many drive motor problems at all on bobcats. I would say go with a Bobcat S250 or S300 with a 8ft pusher. I would say a 10ft but you might have problems with clearance. I would look into a bobcat brand pusher, they are very well built and reasonable priced.
    Robert

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

first off, why not CASE or CAT skidsteers, secondly (without seeing the properties in question) we use a 56hp machine and you would be amazed how many condos we clear out in a day with that machine, a snow push may work well for you too, but we have found that the roads in those condo areas are so uneven/unlevel that a push has been pretty ineffectual at best, where it shines is if you push all the snow out to the roadways, then you use the push to move it around from there, but for plowing the roadways themselves, i would guess you well find you use your bucket, or a plow to get right down to pavement.

5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Look into the kage system for a skid I use a NH L 185 and love it