1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i need some advice in Canada

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dingybigfoot, Nov 4, 2009.

1. dingybigfoot

dingybigfoot Senior Member

i have 30 residential accounts. they're all clustered together. drive time is minimum.
    i got a call from a friend of mine who sits on a board for a townhome complex.
    she said they're taking bids, and that i should bid. problem is, its a 30 to 40 min drive
    from my base of operations (and thats in normal driving conditions). i have two trucks. ones just a back up. should i bid,
    and then scramble to put a man in my other truck if i get it? i'm not trying to bite off more than i can chew.
    but if some of you guys have done it, i'd like to know.

2. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

That is the exact problem I had about 10 years ago. Unfortunately you cant hire the guys until you know you have the work. It's unnerving to get a big job and not be sure if you can complete it but but it is a necessary evil if you want to expand. What has worked well for me in the past was to get all my "ducks in a row" before acquiring a bigger contract.
    Line up as many potential workers as you can "in advance".
    Figure out which equipment you will need and do the research "in advance".
    Figure out what you will need for insurance, WCB etc, "in advance".

If you have everything ready "in advance" you can bid the job with confidence and know that if you do get it, you can quickly get things together to complete the job without losing your mind.
    Just my opinion, hope it helps. Good luck:D

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Good advice Stackmaster, one thing to add, (without having seen the townhouses) a 30 unit condo/townhouses, isn't that big, if you have a extra truck, and a guy or two that can help you out, i would put a bid on it, do you know someone close by the condo that you could hire, leave your extra truck there, maybe pick up a bunch more work too. just a thought

4. dingybigfoot

dingybigfoot Senior Member

thanks a million!
    i started looking into insurance yesterday after i got the call.
    i have one guy who can help me out. I was thinking maybe assigning him the complex
    if i was to submit a bid and get it.

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

When submitting your bid, consider that if you're 40 mins away in good weather, you'll be an hour or even an hour and a half in foul weather. Also consider which direction from Toronto this property is located. Weather is very different North of the city. Good luck.

6. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

Does a guy need to have his workers get H1N1 shot, like the Flames did. What an up roar over that one.

7. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

No S@#T!!!! Can you imagine the flames sitting in line for six hours???? "Jerome, can I get your autograph??"

8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

the Flames should have to sit in line just like everyone else, I heard on the radio that someone lost their job because of that incident