1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need recommendations on a walk-behind spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TL697, Feb 5, 2008.

1. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I'm looking to get a walk-behind spreader for sand and salt...

any recommendations? opinions?

Thanks in advance,

2. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

I have got a earthway spreader but i only put down salt don't know about sand. It works good for what i got. It will hold a 50 pound bag.
  3. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

How much $$$? and where to buy?
  4. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

I got mine off of ebay. I think they were around 150 with shipping but that was like 2 or 3 years ago. I know you can go to there website and buy stuff don't know if you still can.
  5. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

We use Earthway spreaders too but only for bagged salt. Don't know how they will spread sand. They work awesome with "pellet" style salt. I bought mine at John Deere Landscapes for about $135. Ours hold 100 lbs.

Good Luck
  6. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

I run two earthway spreaders one 50# and one 100# I am very happy with both although I had to replace the cotter pin which hold the tire on and controls the spinner recently. The pin fell out some where along the way. Other than that I like them. I purchased mine from Russo's power equipment in Schiller Park IL. :drinkup:
  7. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Has anybody seen or tried the new SnowEx walk behind spreader. Looks nice, one really big opening. Bad thing is I've only seen them for $499.00. Kinda outrageous for a spreader.
  8. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Buyers Salt Dogg

I have the Buyers SaltDogg 100# walk-behind. Got it in the fall off ebay for 160. Works very well. I normally use magic in it but a few local guys have told me that they use a "homemade" salt/sand mix but they have to use dry bagged sand and it has to be more salt than sand. Hope that helps.

WHITESLAWNCARE Junior Member
    from ny

lesco /JD landscapes sells nice spreaders stainless-steel/or painted frams. ok price, stainless a little price, i have a lesco comm-plus s/s works great Spreading sand is OK if its nice and dry if it gets wet good luck, get a shovel and start flingin
  10. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

Thanks everyone.

Is there much difference between a fert. spreader and a salt spreader?
  11. For S/S or treated salt you need to use the earthway 2130 or agrifab 125 spreader. Earthway also has a 2030PiPlus for homeowners. They are cheaper but work.
  12. Indy

Indy Senior Member

all I know is I like my Agri fab #125, I haven't used any other. I got it for $ 139 at Ace Hardware and added a screen and a salt skirt from the parts department @agri fab

I like it because it is stable on uneven ground and I can lay a bag on the screen and cut it end to end and flip it over to fill the spreader and it is stable and sturdy.
  13. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

14. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I have been using cheap $25 scott spreaders for the past 3 years. They can hold about 70# and work great for the price.
  15. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Yes the scotts work well but is not good for medium commercial applications. I found this out the hard way. Im currently going to get a salt dogg off of e-bay, this is $200 all together and heard this works well. Hope this helps in your decision. Mike
  16. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I have several of the Earthway broadcast spreaders. Model 2170, about $150 and they've held up well. It will hold 100lbs.

http://www.earthway-outlet.com/2170su.htm They also have a screen in the bottom to keep large chunks from clogging it.

I like them because you can add the deflector kit to help keep the salt on the sidewalk without using a drop spreader. If you do a larger area, you can just "open" the deflectors.

Here's the kit: http://www.earthway-outlet.com/2170su.htm and its $37.00
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  17. dmcenery

dmcenery Member

Racer Ben,

You are correct! Earthway #2130 is the only way to go. I just wish it had a 100# hopper. Spreads bulk salt great.

18. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I've had two and get about two seasons from them, but constantly have to fool around with them to keep them working. Very light duty tubing, and once it starts to rust, it starts to bend. The stupid fold down handle sucks (brazed mine so it would stop bending over). If the wheels catch an obstacle and stop, the weight of the load (and me pushing) keeps going forward and spreads the frame apart, which killed my last one (drive axle and spinner mech. keeps coming apart and I think a spacer got lost somehow). Hard to beat for the price if you're only doing a few driveways but otherwise for commercial type work, step up and buy a quality spreader that lasts and doesn't break in the middle of the night when you need it most.

I have an Earthway 100# spreader that I am using now. Had it last year and didn't care for it for the Sifto salt I was using (the 'grains' are too large to fit thru the tiny drop openings and would plug up)... but it works awesome for the smaller 'grains' of the Landscaper's Choice we're spreading on sidewalks now.
  19. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

The Epoke drop speaders in my opinion are the best. Retail for around 1000-1200. We have a number of them and they are bulletproof-except when guys bounce them off the back of the truck. I have had mine for 12 years now with no problems, as long as you wash them out after every use. Hope this helps. I have tried numerous broadcast spreaders with plenty of disspointment.
  20. homey1

homey1 Member

Is There Any Walk Behind That Will Spread Wet Sand? Or Am I Relegated To A Life Of Flingin' With A Shovel Like Whiteslawncare Said?