1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need pictures of modifications done to accomidate a lifted truck.....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Kentuckydiesel, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

My '79 dodge has a 6" lift and 35" tires. I just put a plow frame on it but it's 8" higher than it should be. I'm happy with where the plow mount is for ground clearance reasons, is it possible to modify an a-frame enough to fix this issue??? Anyone have pictures?

Yea, 6" sounds like a lot, but these 1/2 ton dodges were low to start with. It's not much taller than my '95 F350 at the roof, but it is taller at the frame. -Phillip

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

are you going to try to plow with the 35s? It is going to suck. It can be done, I have done it, but it is not going to be fun. You are not going to have any traction because wide tires ride on top of the snow, you will be packing down a lot more than you want to, and the increased radius translates to a higher gear ratio, which means a lot less power and torque to the ground, so it will heat up the trans and spin the tires too much. You may find you can use low range more to get it where you want it. Anyway, I have had two older solid axle frontend Chevys with 6 and 7 inch lifts and 35/12.50s I always took them off in winter and plowed with 265/75 tires. A somewhat shorter and much narrower tire is going to work so much better. All I ever had to do is mount the blade in its lowest setting (the old Fishers had three holes for adjustment) to keep the angle within reason, and it helped it to scrape better. If its too steep you are going to trip all the time. Anyway, to try to answer your question, I'm not sure what kind of plow you have, but a longer lift chain can make up for a little, and some welded on mount extensions (on the blade, not the plowframe) would probably get you where you want to be, but they would never be strong enough to last. I don't know why you're worried about ground clearance, unless you mean for summer use with the frame left on. Like I said at the beginning, I have done it before, when I changed back to my summer tires and got caught with a late snowstorm. It worked, but it was way worse, with the blade tripping all the time and the tires spinning too much.

3. Kentuckydiesel

:nod:

Yea, I'm gonna try it. If it works out, good. If not, oh well. I can always put a different set of tires on. I would probably do 35" skinnys if I did change. This truck has always been a traction monster. Last winter when we got like a foot of snow, I took this truck out with no front driveshaft and drove over some big snow piles for fun. No problem, even with just 2 wheel drive. Tranny is a manual, engine is a well built 360, clutch is a dual friction. Tranny first gear is like 4:1 ratio, low range in the t-case is 2:1, that easily makes up for the tires. Also, with the 35s I can go down the interstate and not have the engine all wound out. :drinkup:

The way this mount is, it's way too hard to remove after each winter, so I'd like to leave it how it is, and modify the a-frame of the plow some. I'm not too bad when it comes to fabrication so it doesn't worry me much, just hope to get some ideas. Unfortunately I can't leave the plow how it is because when angling, it lifts one side off the ground. That would ruin the plow and the cutting edge. :(

-Phillip

4. Kentuckydiesel

I modified the a-frame today to accomidate my truck being 8" over stock. I think it will easily be stronger than factory and it should give a little more downpressure to help when it's icy. I'll try and post pics in the pictures forum tomorrow. -Phillip