1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need part numbers for controls and what else?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TheEquineFencer, Jan 7, 2011.

1. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

I bought a used Western Pro 7-1/2 foot plow last night. It does not have the controls or mount with it. How do I identify what I have and what do I need to use and mount it. It says Pro Plow #60381 on it. It has the harness conector for what looks like the main power and where the controls plug in. It looks like it's been sitting more than it's been used. The LS ram is rusty, looks like it may not clean up too well. The RS ram looks like it may clean up OK. Can I buy the parts to replace just the rod and a seal kit, or am I better off the buy the whole thing? I'm game for using generic controls if it's that much cheaper. Says, Unimount on it also. Does anyone have a link to the wiring diagram for this and mounting info? I have a western with cable controls on my '90 2500 Chevey, the mount is not a quick disconnnect like this one looks to be. Do they make an adapter to use this plow on my truck?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

3. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Controls

Thanks. I see I may have found the right link when I was looking at the Western site, this diagram looks like the one I found. What is confusing to me is all the differant controls on the user end. Will all these work with this plow? If so, which will work the best? Is there a wiring diagram for them? If so can you send me the link for them? I'm exstremly electrically inclined, with the diagram and an understanding of how it works, I may be able to build my own control for less later down the road.

4. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

You should have 2 plugs on the plow unit, one for power ground, one for control/lighting. How many pins are there in that plug and what type of truck are you putting the plow on,also what type of lights does the truck have. That will determine which light/control harness you need. If you can get me that info I can tell you what part number you are looking for.

5. twinman326

Most likely you have a 9pin with a two relay setup??

The rams you can buy separately. Equipment spec sell the ram for around 74.00 depending on what size ram you have. Or you can buy the kit to rebuild them. The link in on post #2

It would be better if you could give some info on the truck itself, year, make, model, composite ( one or two lights) lights, or seal beams. That way you get the correct info

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  6. jdilliplane1

jdilliplane1 Senior Member

the 60381 pro plow is what I have. It's a unimount which means you'll probably have to change your conventional mount. I have the 9 pin harness and my controllers have the 6 pin setup in them. Let me know what else you need to know, not sure if the wiring harnesses are the same or not.

7. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

There's two plugs, one is for power. Yes a two pin power and a nine pin control.

DSCN2503.jpg

8. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

If you have a wiring diagram or know if I can get a reasonably priced generic control, that would be nice. I have more time than money rightnow, but that may change if it snows.

9. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

It's a 1990 light duty 2500, six lug axles, not the 8 liug axle type, Chevrolet 4x4.I'mnot worried about the truck light system, I've worked that out alreay with my other plow.

10. twinman326

Here is the wiring schematics for the truck and plow...It will show the pins for the controller, wires for the relays and lights.. This is just for a relay system. The 9pin you have in your hand needs to be clean up..Use battery cleaner. Let it soak then you a air gun to blow it out..Do the same to the other harness male, and females. Also put some dielectric grease on both ends, both harness.

If you were going for the mod, I believe the power cable would be the same, but the truck harness would be different. You most likely use a 3Mod with two wire.

The reason why I ask about the truck headlights, because if they are not composite you might have to get an adapter.

Here what a mod setup look like
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html....com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/29225.06_071508.pdf

Here is the adapter
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html....com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/29973.00_110107.pdf

Truck side
    999harness.jpg

Plow side
    999plow.jpg

Here is the wiring schematic
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html...ommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf

999harness.jpg

999plow.jpg

11. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

On my '90 Chevy what I did was just run a new fused wire to a new 40A rated On/Off/On position toggle switch for the plow headlights and also tapped the turn signal wires from the OEM wiring and ran them to the turn signal wires on the plow turn signal wires. When I'm using the plow, I just leave the truck headlights off and run the Parking lights and use the On/Off/On switch as a "dimmer switch", Left position is Low beam and right is high beam, center is off. I thought about doing the switching with a toggle switch wired to operate a relay system of a truck/plow. I'd toggle the switch for plow mode and be able to have the truck headingts cut off and then the plow headlights would work and be able to then use the trucks dimmer switch to operate a replay for high/low beam operation of the plow headlights. The way I have it now I can also use the truck headlights and plow headlights at the same time when I have the plow dropped and have lots of light. I'm starting to look around for a "new" truck to put this "new"plow on now. I'm kind of partial to the older body style Chevys than the body style I have now. Around here the bodies last longer than up north. A freind of mine has what I want, 454 powered 3/4 ton 4 x 4, but he wants to keep the 454 engine and transmission in it. I'm looking to see if I can find an engine now.

12. twinman326

With the relay system, the brown wire that attaches to the parking light on the driver side, trips the relay so it goes from truck to plow. The gray wire go to the driver side signal, and the purple wire go to the pass side parking. The remaining wires go the the truck head lights (low/high), and plugs into the OEM light harness. Just make it easier to switch on and off automatically the using a toggle switch..

Like I mention before, the schematic show the color of the wires and were they go..

13. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Mount- (88-98) Chevy , #1545 (61440) Western

Truck wiring kit- # 61545 (2B/2D lights) ,# 61515 (composite HB3/HB4 lights) ,# 61580 (LF/UF lights)

Battery wires - 61169

Positive wire - 22511

Solenoid - 56134K

Joystick controller - 56369

Handheld controller - 56462

TOM

14. twinman326

Nasty-Z
    writing your Christmas list for next year :drinkup:

How is the weather out there my friend?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  15. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Just trying to help out , (and bored at the same time........) :D

Getting ready for some more snow tomorrow night , hope it dosen't fizzle out like the last one , I would like to see some of my customers do well in a storm for a change :rolleyes:

How about you?

TOM

16. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Guys, I appreciate your input, but what I really need to know now is the operation of the wiring for the plow itself. I cannot find a breakdown of the driver control parts. I'm thinking I may need to energize more than one solenoid to get it to move L/R and U/D. I'd like to know that without resorting to trial an error and burn up a solenoid or pump from dead heading it. I have an extra solenoid for the pump motor .With that info I can build myself a control with what I have here at my shop. Then I'll tackle finding a new/used mount.
    By the way, it's sleeting here right now. They have 4-6 inches on the ground about 40-50 miles south of me, I'm waiting for it to get here now. I managed to get to take vacation time for the next three days, lucky me, I've been there 4 weeks at the new job. I promised my new boss I'd run over and plow his place out if it get's bad at his house.
    Thanks, Floyd.

17. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Valve functions for given operation :

Raise = Motor runs + S3 (4 way valve)
    Right angle = Motor runs + S2 ( 3 way valve)
    Left angle = Motor runs + S2 & S3 ( 3 way AND 4 way valves)
    Lower = S1 (2 way valve ) , Motor does not run.

Looking at the valve block, starting top right and going counterclockwise valves are arranged : S1 , S2 , S3.

Unless you really want to get involved with diode isolating and multiple circuits , the proper controller is really the best way to do it.

HTH

TOM

18. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

You're probably right I'm sure. But I have a ton of 6A doides and other related electrical componets here in my shop. I like a challenge. If I can find a generic control that will work I may go that route. Right now I don't need it and have some time to kill. I might even luck up and find a used one somewhere. Thanks, that is what I was looking for, you guys are the best!

Floyd.

19. twinman326

The controller has a pc board inside of it..When you go left or right the disk moves onto a micro switch on the board which send a current to the corresponded wire which is attach to the s valve. Example, if you move the joy stick to the right, it will send current through the lt/green wire (controller harness) activating the S2 coil, which will move the plow to the right..

I believe everything else is shown on the electrical schematics i posted in post #10

Here is a link to the mechanics guide
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html...ows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/21936_121704.pdf

Also posted on this post
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=113147

20. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

No problem , it will work the way you are describing , and it sounds like you have a good knowledge of what needs to be done , shouldn't be all that hard.:)

And with a slight "tweek" of said PC board for those savy enough , you can make a Western handheld or joysitck work with just about any plow setup. :D

TOM