1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I Need new Insurance

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dire Wolf, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf Junior Member

I found out yesterday My Commercial auto will no longer write commercial snow removal policy. My broker is working on this but does ayone have a suggestion on a particular carrier. Or if you are happy with a present company and have any info you would like to share. The broker said we are looking at at least 2000.00 premium to start. That seems like a lot of money for small firm with a few accounts and especially if it does not snow.
    ANY imput would be appreciated, Thanks.
  2. topdj

topdj Senior Member

look into a higher deductible?
    what ever you think you can handle then be extra carefull.
    Im not sure this will help but its worth a try
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Have your agent/broker look into MiddleOak and Progressive. Not sure either writes policies in NY, but the agent would know easy enough.

Stay away from State Farm and Allstate. I just saw they were in the news again today.
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i think one beacon does snow removal too. give them a call.
  5. packey

packey Member

My commercial liability and auto together where only 1561 a year.
  6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Erie Insurance ;)
  7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

United Farm Family Insurance has the best rates for us contractors. Gen Lia, Auto, inland marine, and an umbrella, and I'm under $3000 with millon $ policies.
  8. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

farmers,SAFECO, and selective insurance all deal in new york
  9. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

This insurance thing is killing me. My agent is scrambling to find a reasonably priced policy. I have a school to plow this year, they need a certificate from the ins. co. listing them as "Additional named insured". I could spend half of the revenue from this one school on insurance. If the one policy covers all my plowing liability needs, than I can hack it. If not, that really stinks.....For you guys plowing commercially, like schools, malls, banks, roads, even the corner store, - really make sure you are covered for plowing and sanding. If someone slips and sues, you could spend forever paying for someone's broken wrist. I really try to play by the rules with this stuff, everyone is trying get a free buck, and the insurance companies love to find loopholes to not pay. My 1997 GMC 2500 is registered at 20,000 lbs, because I have a 12,000 lb dump trailer. Commercial inspections on the truck and trailer. Liability coverage on my trailers, too. You just can't be too careful.
  10. Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf Junior Member

It is not the commercial truck insurance thats the problem we have plenty of property damage insurance it is the SLIP & FALL coverage that is directly related to the plowing and sanding of commercial property. You can perform the act of plowing with your regular contractors insurance but you are not covered in a slip and fall lawsuit as a result of the plowing job once you have left the site. In essence as soon as you drop the plow you become liable for any injury related to the job you have performed. This is what we are getting quote of 2000.00 and up for. Million contractor truck coverage is running about 6000.00 yr for 5 trucks
  11. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i have selective now but was with erie....both had great rates
  12. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I have american family ins and they are great! I actually just called the other day to see what my rates are and to make sure that everything is good to go for snow plowing and slip and fall. With the commercial auto and contractors package that covers everything up to 2 mil its about $1600/year.