1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need major answers! "yikes" ;)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Buddy2you, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Buddy2you

Buddy2you Junior Member

I have been in the Landscape Maintenance Industry for quite a few years.. I am now jumping into the snow side of things... I own a 2008 SLT 4x4 2500 Heavy Duty long box 4dr Ram 6.7 Diesel... I need a plow for this truck.. I have plowed for other companies in the past using BOSS V Blades so Im sticking with those... My problem is on my truck the front GAWR being 5200 lbs and the rear 6010 lbs Dodge doesn't recommend putting a plow on this truck!? I guess from my research the diesel engine is quite heavy and with the plow on the front of this truck its just too much weight.. I've seen 1/2 tons with a V blade! And many other trucks like mine with the same V Blade applications.. What should I do? Put it on and hope for the best? What am I looking for as far as problems? The Boss dealer where I live in Vancouver BC Canada says hes put them on last year and a few this year and not to worry... We dont get much snow here but this year is supposed to be a dandy... I do also have payments for the next 6 years on my truck so I need it to last for the most part.. Please help everyone!

Blessings,

Buddy

2. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

The diesels aren't the best machine for plowing. What you are looking at as far as potential problems: front shocks tires bearings really just the whole front axle is being stressed. I'm not going to say you'd be fine with a 8'2" boss v, but you'd probably be okay with a boss v 8'2"

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

???? Diesels are not the best for plowing???? You are going to have front end wear, just like you would in any other plow truck, maybe more, but it should still be fine. Just upgrade the front end and you will be fine.

4. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

huh???? up here in the mtns we love to plow with diesels but we will see now that the ethanol increasing to 15% we may all end up switching to gas. but as far as the weight issue you could add something such as timbrens to the front end to help offset weight discrepency. that will help with your whole front end. if you have leaf springs add a spring.... I wouldnt just add the plow without addressing the issue. you may be fine for one year if you dont do alot of driveways but down the road it may or will bite you in the arse.

5. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

Yes they are torque monsters, but the more your engine weighs, the less plow you have hanging off the front.

6. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

well Ill take that tourge all day.... may be more weight in front end but if you upgrade the front end with timbrens ( $200) or or add leafsprings ( $200) you will be fine. a diesel is not going to wear out your balljoints or springs any more than a gas engine ...and that added topurge or power will give you the ompfff you may need on hills.

7. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

I'll take my diesels over my GAS trucks any day of the week.

8. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

put a couple of fat chicks on the tailgate passin' out flyers, you'll be fine

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The ONLY part timbrins or extra leafs or air bags will help is the springs (the saging front end). The ball joints wheel bearings, brakes, tie-rod ends, tires, frame, axles... .are still going to see the extra weight of the diesel and plow.

10. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

ball joints , tie rods and everything else will wear gas engine or not.. just keep up with them.... We plan to replace our balljoints every year. Your frame will be fine unless you pull a NEWBIE and go mach one into a pile of snow... it is your equipment just be smart with it..

11. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

LMAO:laughing:

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

the Boss will be fine to plow with

13. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I agree 100%

14. Buddy2you

Buddy2you Junior Member

Whew!

Whew!
    Thanks very much everyone... I had no idea as to what I should be doing.. I can now go ahead comfortably with everything I have going on... I shall be back with my next road block! "smiles"

Thanks again,

Buddy ;)

15. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

Agreed, when we get a heavy wet snow that stops the gas trucks my diesel just keeps going:nod:

16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That is a ballast issue not the type of fuel.

Don't get me wrong I love diesels but really.

17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

If you want the front end to last and be worryfree spend the $$$ now and upgrade- Carli Upper and Lower Ball Joints, Spicer triple sealed Ujoints, and free spin hub kits (dynatrac,etc). You'll spend near $3000 but you'll never have to replace anything again. Or you'll replace the stock items over and over and spend more than $3000.

18. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Put the plow on and dont look back. Diesels are far superior to gas trucks for plowing.

19. ERWbuilders

ERWbuilders Senior Member

im too embarrased to drive a GASser anymore...They suck at everything except muddin.

20. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

To answer your specific question yes you can put a plow on this truck. But because it is a diesel long bed 4dr Dodge the recommendation is a 7'.5" The problem is as you say the weight of the diesel motor + the bigger plow = to much weight for the GAWR of 5200lbs. I have seen guys put plows on that are over the manufactures specs. I think Dodge could deny your warranty if you went past their specs. You may want to find out.