1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I Need Info On The 2002 Chevy 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mercer_me, May 24, 2011.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

As alot of you know I'm looking for a truck since the Tundra is my Dad's and I sold my Ford Ranger that I used to have for my daily driver. I'm looking at a 2002 Chevy 1500 4x4 4.8 reg. cab long box with 66,000 miles. What ever I buy will get a 7.5' Fisher MM2 put on it and I'm going to plow a few driveways, most likely less than 10. I just want to know what people think of the 2002 1500s. I'm kinda leaning towards 2003 and newer Chevy and GMCs right now becouse I think they look better. But, if I get a good reveiw on the 1999 to 2002 trucks I will probly end up buying this one.

Thanks,
    Will

2. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

the trucks are awsome, i havent heard much about the 4.8 in them trucks though. i have drivin a couple 5.3's and they are a awsome and very solid truck. on that body style you looking at watch for wheel well rust, cab corner rust and rocker rust. other than that its a low millage chevy and will bring awsome luck to youin the future!

3. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

for some reason the 5.3 is better than the 4.8 - less problems

4. mercer_me

My cousin has a 2000 1500 and his girl freind has a 1999 1500 both have 4.8s. He says he likes the 4.8 and hasn't had any problems with them. He also said they have plenty of power.

5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd like to know the references, the 4.8L actually has less trouble per hundred units than the 5.3L. Good trucks, the only real problems are:

Motor- anti knock sensors, and that annoying tick.

Tranny- 4L60E is a great tranny but when asked to do more than it was designed, will fail much sooner. Run as large a tranny cooler as space and wallet allow.

Fuel- Fuel pumps just seem to go at about 90,000 miles, just how it is.

Rust- Rockers are the biggest. Cab corners too.

Steering and Suspension- Front ends take a good amount of abuse considering. Wheel hubs seem to be the largest problem with plows. Pitman and Idler arms are also famous.

Exaust- Great exhaust systems if its factory, however the donuts tend to be an issue.

They really are great little trucks. I actually have an 02 GMC 1500 right now, in fact its got a MM2 on it. It has 98,000 miles right now. No real complaints. Plowing, it lacks weight but gets it done.

6. mercer_me

I took it for a test drive toady and the 4.8 seams to have good power. They (it's at a dealership) said they are going to put all new brakes on it. I looked it all over and it looks good. The rockers, cab corners and fenders are all solid. I'm going to make an offer on it tomarow.

7. Squires

Squires Senior Member

does it have rear disks?
    I had a 02 5.3L ext cab, had 4 wheel disks and the brakes always seemed spungy to me, something the master cylinder didn't hav the capacity for the rear disks(they worked, just got funky pedal response driving) they were back to rear drums by 05 and are still useing them now on 2011's.

Moog parts for any front end replacement, if it had factory fender flares, take them off and take a look, famous for chafing the paint and rusting from the inside out.

front wheel bearings are the hub and all if i remember correctly, not just a packable bearing.
    Friend of the family used a 2000 sierra with a 4.3L and 7.5 bossV to plow their gas station parking lot up until this year, truck still runs and was sold for the price of a plow for his new truck,well over 300,000km's on it.

Anywho, best of luck i liked mine.

8. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I had to put a fuel pump in my Wife's yukon a couple months ago at 108000. Not because it quit working, the top rusted through!

A good place I found for parts online, wear and tear stuff, is autoparts123.com. Gmpartsdirect.com and rockauto.com are great as well.

9. mercer_me

I bought it. They put all all new brakes all the way around. It comes with a 30 day 1,000 mile warenty. I'm happy with it. I kinda wanted a truck that was a little more fancy. But, this work truck is nice enough for me. I'm going to build a head ache rack for it and probly put a leveling kit in it.