1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pcs, Nov 6, 2000.

1. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I'm just trying to put together a contract for a few commercial accounts but i'm stuck on what to put in it for when the lots will be cleared. Also what about salting? What should I charge? Thanks.

2. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Are you bidding hourly, per push or a flat monthly rate?? What do you mean "stuck on what to put in for lots to be cleared"? Are you referring to plowing?

3. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I'm talking about when they shoud expect the lot to be cleared. And it's a monthly rate.

4. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

The best thing to do is ask the customer when they expect the lot to be cleared. Go over all of the scenerios concerning snowfalls: For example, if it stops snowing at 5 A.M., do they expect you to have it cleared by 6? Or if it starts snowing at 5A.M. and snows all day, how often do they expect you there? Just a suggestion, but I'd cover all of the bases now, before any situations arise.

Since you have a monthly contract, just put in your contract that when and how much salt you use is to your discretion, unless otherwise stipulated by the customer. Most guys charge by the ton, however, I charge a flat rate by the pound (usually between $.15 and $.24/lb.) which means when I'm spreading material, we don't charge for labor or truck time, it's all built in to the price of the material. Works well for us anyway. Hope this helps.

5. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Where do you live? How many accounts do you have? How many trucks do you have to move the snow and what are they? All this is important to what you will charge and what you can promise for start and completion times.The last thing is are they asking for all this info or are you just providing it along with the price?

6. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I live in Toronto. It's only me right now but i have someone to help me out if needed. I only what two commercial accounts and maybe 30 drive ways. I'm providing all of this with the price. One of the customers is a factory and the other is a club that is only open on Wen - Sat.

7. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

The residential customers will expect you to be there when they fart. It's a good thing you have help; I'd use it so you don't get overloaded.

PS Don't listen to Digger; he's not in touch with his inner child and not sensitive enough.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Around here, nobody promises completion times for residentials; let them know up front no guarantees when the driveway will be done and there will be no hassles. You usually have to get it done before the town/city tickets the homeowner for not clearing the walk however. (36 hours after the storm).

Standard reply from contractors around here when a customer demands to be plowed by x:xx hour: better buy yourself a snowblower.

9. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Your commercials will have to be done before seven or eight and your residential will wanting to be getting out to go to work by that time so it will often be tough to make both happy without several units if the snow falls at the wrong time.I agree with lawnguy better tell the res. up front you aren't going to set a time for completion.

P.S. I went and met Iowastorm at his "home" the other day there were alot of people in white, took me a second but then I understood.Hard to know with internet who your dealing with,he just kept repeating "there coming to take me away ha ha" and rocking back and forth in his chair.

10. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

. . . it's hard to get all those properties completed on time when you're wearing a straight jacket and doped up on prozac.

Anyway, I agree about letting know the residential customers know in advance about not setting a completion time. That's the exact reason why we don't do residentials; they're a pain in the rear.