1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by lawndude703, Aug 2, 2008.

1. lawndude703

lawndude703 Junior Member

I'm trying to get into the plowing biz this winter and am actually looking for an affordable truck and plow. Any advice?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Buy at least a 3/4 ton Regular cab truck, Auto snowplow prep no plow. Look at the front frame to see if a plow has been removed. Not all plow trucks get beat up (mine for example:rolleyes:) but some of these guys are pretty rough on stuff.:jester: Nobody that hangs on plowsite falls in that category of course:D

The actualy truck would have to be chosen to fit your (desired) customer base.

Offer salting, there is a huge amount of money to be made on material applications and the profit rates can be higher because of repeat applications.

Chose your Equipment the same way you chose your truck, by job requirement. A vee plow is the most versatile, but rules out anything below a heavy 3/4. And chose a plow that you can get service for. buying on price is expensive later when you cann't buy parts.

Use the search feature on the menu bar here's a link to a search i did
    http://www.plowsite.com/search.php?searchid=873839

Welcome to Plowsite:waving:

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Basher he's from Virginia so depending on the area he may not get that much snow so he shouldn't get carried away. Maybe get a truck more suitable for landscaping and he can get a smaller plow for it .

4. lawndude703

lawndude703 Junior Member

I appreciate that. Anyone else have any advice?

5. Kingwinter

Kingwinter Senior Member

Don't lowball, get insurance, be legit, or else everyone from plowsite will make it their life mission to make ur life miserable. Welcome to plowsite. lol.

But seriously tho, be legit, and get a 3/4 ton. Also know that you could lose money. Your betting on mother nature, and the last few years she's been a bit$h.

As for a truck, I'd get a Chevy or Dodge. The new Fords are junk in my opinion. Plus the Chevy's get pretty good MPG.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Start small in the snow business and work your way up. definately a 3/4 ton truck with an 8' blade. Make sure to have good dealer support for whatever plow you choose too. Check the classifieds on here, craigslist or ebay for trucks and plows. Now is the time to get a truck and plow.

7. dford42

dford42 Junior Member
    from VA

Ive got a couple trucks that Im looking to part with that have plows and the works. If you are in the NOVA area maybe we can get together and you can take a look. They are 2002 Ford F350's with either a 7.5 ft. plow or 8 ft. plow

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

On a 3/4 ton truck you want at least an 8" blade. JMO