1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowplowjay, Sep 1, 2002.

1. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Ok i have the opportunity to grab a 1946 Jeep with a plow to restore for use plowing some of my driveway accounts and i need a little help. Does anyone have any pictures or know of a site with pictures of and information about original historic jeeps that will help me in restoring this jeep. thanks guys i hope to get this antique plow truck back into doing what it was made to.(working like a beast).

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Gotta be a Wileys.... yes?

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You can find advertising literature on ebay. Look under "Jeep" and "Willy's". Try a search here. A loooong time ago I posted a pic of one with an original dozer blade on it. Tommy10plows knows A LOT about them.

~Chuck

4. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I have to wonder why you'd want to use a potentially valuable antique vehicle to "work like a beast".

I can see a parellel though. There is a whole community of people dedicated to restoring aircraft to flying condition and then flying them, as opposed to letting them sit on display in a museum. The logic similar--this is their intended purpose and people should be able to see them doing it. The difference is, nobody is proposing to put these machines in harm's way, and we all know how plowing beats a vehicle up.

Restore it to it's prime woking condition, sure. Plow something every once in a while to prove that it does what it was built to do so many years ago. But I wouldn't then start to beat it up by actually using it commercially...

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

To make it authentic, you'll have to have a hand pump hoist, manual angle, ragtop, no radio, 6 volt electric and... no heat! Still looking to work this thing?:rolleyes:

7. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Jay seeks, in a Zen-like fashion, to experience snow plowing in its purest, most essential form. Perhaps you would do well to abandon your brightly colored, high tech, brand new from the factory, heated, air conditioned, (and probably equipped with multiple cup holders) icon of American, capitalist, materialism and instead follow him on the path of *true* enlightenment.

Uh, dress warm, and don't forget to send us all a postcard when you get there....

:D

8. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Uh, and also, when you go, could you, uh, like, leave your keys on the sunvisor for me? :) :)

9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

lol thanks guys

Yes its a willys and i realize that im getting myself into a whole messa headaches from trying to find parts to the bills associated with them to the frost bite that i will receive while plowing in the truck and the backaches of manually angling the plow. But i guess all the polish inside of me still thinks this is a fun project lol im still not 100% sure i am going to go through with it but i am looking for a project so if anyone else has one that sounds interesting let me know. thanks
    Jay