1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by rrossi1059, Jan 4, 2005.

1. rrossi1059

rrossi1059 Junior Member

Will my controller still work if I wire it without wiring any lights to it? I have the 12 wire connector from the truck to the plow but I don't know what is what. If I just wire the controls (joy stick), and the solenoid, will the controls work? (up,down, side to side??) If they do, then I must have a bad solenoid switch (motor relay). If they don't, how can I do this??? Anyone???

You think you're confused???? :help: :dizzy: :confused:
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I'm not sure I follow everything- don't know what make plow you have this issue with. General electrical troubleshooting: never bypass relays- they are there to switch the current bypassing them can possible send current throught the joystick that will burn out the joystick (or whatever in general your controlling it with)

Wiring diagrams for all plows should be available from a dealer (if not already in your owner manual/install manual).
    Try checking the fuses then use a voltage probe (or a multi meter) to check for voltage at the relay. See if voltage is making it to the relay, if not the problem is supplying the feed to the relay. If you have voltage at the relay move the joystick (rubber band it to a position or have someone hold it if you can't hold it to measure but not for long incase there is a stuck brush or something that could short/be shorted) then check for voltage coming out of the relay- if non then check the relay's control feed for voltage from the joystick.

The relay should have 2 heavy wires and 2 light wires- heavy are feed light are control.

If you have no control voltage check the switch for problems if you have control voltage and no output from the relay it's the relay if you have output from the relay continue to the motor and check for voltage.

By the way- have you cleaned and lubed the connecter pins this season?