1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need help with this

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by R.J.S. SNOWPLOW, Sep 9, 2010.

1. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

HI guys i need some advice on this

i am bidding on a hotel motel i know what to charge a hour and about how long it would take me

the problem is when i go there they have about a 300 car parking lot the hotel will never be empty how would i or should i charge to go back within the same snow fall to cleanup after the car has left i really don't want to shovel or use a snow blower between the cars on other lots i give free touch-ups but this is a hotel near a airport and always people are checking in and out
    and i have to push the snow down about a block

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Either charge your hourly rate when you come back, possibly a little discounted, or set a flat rate for coming back to clean up.

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We do a couple hotels, we charge hourly for doing loops to keep the place open, and then around 11AM which is check out time we clean up the lot, and thats when they get charged the 0-4,4-8 etc price. Most hotels checkout time is 10-11Am, then check in is 2-4 PM, this window is the best time to service, and thats not to say all the cars will be gone, but it'll be as good as it gets....

4. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

thank you guys

i was thinking about charging a seasonal rate do hotels prefer this or a flat rate or hourly

this will be my frist hotel account i dont want to loss this chance

i was trying to find out how many times it snowed and how inches but google didnt come up with anything any ideas

thanks for the help

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I know you don't want to lose the chance, but you want to lose money even less.........

Seasonals are tough on hotels for the hours and the expectations, you could have to go 1,2,3 times to make it right. Each visit will cost you, if you build your seasonal with say 15 trips and you have to go 25 times, then you're sunk.

As far as snow totals try noaa.gov and search the site.

6. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

thank you very much for the advice you do make alot of sense

i been plowing for 9 seasons as a sub
    last year i got screwed by the contactors

now i am tring to get my own contracts with help

let get this wright charge for loops then a fee for times i can plow the whole lot which it will be hard too do.....
    is it better to bid itemized

loop fees
    plowing fee
    salting
    pre salting

per vist depending what i can do at the time i arrive

or should i just give them a flat fee per event or per vist

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

plan on using alot more salt

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

the K.I.S.S. principle is usually the best way. account managers don't want to have to try to figure out why your charging them a different rate all the time, they also really like seasonal pricing, the trick is to make sure with seasonal is that your in charge - you don't want them calling you a million times to clean up 1 parking spot every couple of hours.

(change the numbers to fit your situation)
    -word your contract that you will plow the driving lanes every 2" plus salt the driving lanes and sidewalks.
    -you'll come back the following day at 11am to clean-up.
    -IF you are called to do a special clean-up that doesn't fit the first two scenarios, you will be happy to within 2 hours of being called, but may have to charge a $50 service call fee.
    Billing will be at the first of the month due upon receipt of invoice, Nov-Apr with service call fee's applied to the following month.

lets say you get 30 2" snows on average, add 5 more trips to cover yourself, figure out your costs with salt/insurance/overhead etc, divide by 6 and thats your invoice.

If they don't like the price you can give them the option of hourly + expenses with a minimum, chances are they will like the "known" quantity of seasonal. Most of our large accounts are.