1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need help with a snow pusher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ajech, Jan 7, 2007.

1. ajech

ajech Member

I need some help. I just purchased a new 8 ft. Quick Attach Snow pusher for my skid loader. After putting it on my skid loader I noticed that there are only 2 adjustment holes for the skid shoes. If you put the skid shoes in the bottom hole it makes the cutting edge run about a 1/4-1/2 inch off of the pavement. If I put the skid shoes in the top hole it makes the cutting edge run about 1 inch below the skid shoes. Ideally you would want them both running even with the pavement. I called the company and they said to run it with your cutting edge below the skids because the cutting edge will wear longer than the skid shoes. How do some of the other manufacturers run theirs? Any thoughts? Thanks.
  2. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

I run my even

I run all my units level and even with the pavement. Blade and shoes wear at the same time thus staying even and level. I know I have read that most guys don't use the shoes unless it's gravel they are plowing.

I keep an eye on my wear, 5 years and no issues. Replaced one bent
    shoe on my Artic this season. Think the wife bent it as she was learning
    to operate the truck....

Yep, my wife cooks cleans, shovels snow, plows snow and does all the accounting / billing for our 2 businesses.....so I decided not to deduct
    the cost of the new shoe from her pay.......

Hope I helped you out...
  3. ajech

ajech Member

Thanks for the help. How do you adjust your pusher. Do they have slotted holes on the skid shoes or do you adjust it with the cutting blade? I am thinking I might have to make some modifications myself.
  4. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

On the early Pro Techs...

Hi, A friend of mine sells pushers ,on the early pro techs he used to slot the shoe bolt holes so they could be adjusted up and down as the case maybe...I don't know if the new ones come threw that way or not???
  5. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

we run our wear bars about 1/2 below the shoes, and then weld all over on the shoes, so it wears the welds down before it wears down the shoes. Just take a big hammer, and losen the bolts, and beat the wear bar down and tighten the bolts. This is for protech's.
  6. ajech

ajech Member

wear shoes

My concern with slotting the wear shoes holes is that no matter how tight you get the bolts and nuts that hold the shoes to the main frame they will always slide up from the constant vibration and the operator sometimes setting the snow pusher on the pavement kind of hard. Maybe I'm wrong, let me know if slotting the holes for the skid shoes and then tightening the bolts down holds them in place ok. Thanks for the responses guys.
  7. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

New Holes

No sure you have the room, but you could try drilling new holes in the proper location and height. Or you could weld up the old holes and re-drill the holes.
    Slotting the holes will likly be a pain as I agree they will likely move
    after time.

Good Luck
  8. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I'll follow up on that

My thoughts on drilling a bunch of holes is that you may never have the hole in the correct spot.
    Might be a pain to slot the shoes for one day then it would be an easy adjustment from then on...
    I made a call on the slotting to follow up on the slippage issue but my thoughts after working with heavy equipment for years is that you should be able to keep the bolts tight enough not to move the shoes unless you wanted to_On the other hand anything can be abused.
    Speak of the Devil....After about sixty pushers being modified this way he says he hasnt had anyone complain about shoe movement.I think another reason for the modification was to be able to wear the rubber edge down a bit lower before having to flip it.......I forgot to ask if he used the torches or the plasma cutter for the modification.I am sure you'll find what will work for you...Just some ideas.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Thats the kind of woman I am looking for. Your a lucky man :)
  10. ajech

ajech Member

snow pusher ideas

Thanks for the advice guys. I will give the slotted holes thing a try. I really didn't want to try drilling the holes. The steel they use on these things these days is pretty good. I would end up going through too many drill bits to make it worth my time and money. I think the plasma cutter or torch is probably my best bet.