1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need help sweeping.....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ceaman, Feb 26, 2002.

1. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I just recieved a call from a property management company who would like to contract me for their property for lawncare, snow removal, and sweeping. I have plenty of equipment to handle the property's lawn and snow but have never done sweeping....

I know nothing....
    can anyone give me any detais on what i am jumping into?
    what kind of money can be made if there is no other sweeping contractors in the area?

somebody steer me in the right direction!!!!

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

im just assuming this is a smaller business from the info you gave me. you can clean up sand with a large walkbehind blower, a walk behind sweeper, or a line trimmer head and a sweeper attachment. it may be time consuming that way, but bid the right amount of hours it can take you. you could always sub contract the sweeping to somebody else too.

3. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

The lot that I am speaking of is a large shopping center... not small property

4. RB

RB Senior Member

If sub contracting is not an option and you have to do it to get the contract you can do any amount of sweeping w/a walk behind blower.

It would be nice if the account is close to home and you are able to split the sweeping up into a few day per week. Maybe the store fronts and a large portion of it on Sunday. Finish up monday evening.

Without an expensive vac truck you will have an uphill fight. Remember you will be sweeping in the rain, and worse, high winds. You'll be picking up garbage that blows 1/4 mi down the road.

My advice would be don't do it unless you have to. You'll make a good hourly rate, but I don't think it will be worth it. Think about it.

ron

PS
    I know from experience. I sweep a 65 acre parking lot with a walkbehind blower. It sucks but the money is good. If I had to do it over again I would not have done it.

5. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Jeremy,

Check bill jacks or a rental place for a rotory broom.

Charge enough to cover the rental.

Sno

6. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

The property manager said that the site should be swept 3 to 4 times a week with a tymco truck vac. It is a shopping center which includes a Walmart. I just priced a NEW truck & vac and they sell for $60,000 & up.

7. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I would try to find a used vac truck.60000 is a lot for just one job.

8. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Try looking for a small rider sweeper like a Tennet or Power Boss with a high dump. We bought a Power Boss sweeper four years ago and it works great, I have one account that we have to sweep weekly for litter. The sweeper sees a lot of action all spring , we use it almost daily for more than one month, and then after the initial spring sand cleanup we use it for jobs every now and then. It is a nice unit because we can do weekly litter with it and get into parking garages and we can do mid-sized lots with it for sand and it still can be efficent. It will do large parking lots but it will take a little bit longer , we have but for large lots, anything over 20 acres we usually sub out the sand sweeping. I think that this is the perfect size for a grounds maintenance company because we can trailer it with our landscape trailers, it can dump into our one ton dumps and it can do small-mid-sized lots, and it was not alot of money like the big truck size units. We also do alot of sub-contracting in the spring with this sweeper for other local landscape companies, because not alot of them own there own, we can usually keep this unit working 7 days and 7 nights a week if we want to. This is just my two cents.

9. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We use a Cat skidsteer with the enclosed broomer-sweeper on it! Then dump sand in dump trucks and haul away!

10. Stephen

Stephen Member

We do sweeping here in NY with a vac truck - try sweepersonline.com, pavementmaintenanceonline.com, and parking lot planet for used equipment and subcontractors. If no luck - e-mail me and I can give you further information. Also, take my word from being in this business:

sweepers are very high maintenance and operator oriented. Any jerk running your machine will cost you alot of money in repairs.

I don't mean to sound rude but this free advice will cost you thousands if you aren't careful.

Stephen

11. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

thanks stephen.

12. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

ceaman,

Also take a look at http://www.schwarze.com every few days. They usually have quite a few used units for sale. Good luck!

Tim