1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BIGGB9, Mar 9, 2008.

1. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab I have been shopping for a plow. Ok this is what I do not understand. I could put a meyer STL witch weights 530lbs that is what meyer website said. Most other plow manufactures plows for my truck are around the same weight. Now Western has a Midweight witch weight 532lbs and Western said I could only use a suburbanite plow. I think a suburbanite would look a little small on a truck that big. Western does make a mount for a midweight for my truck why can't I put it on there.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  2. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

i say go for it why not do it
  3. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

id say the same thing... go for it and see what happens
  4. BulldogPS

BulldogPS Member

One reason is because of the coil springs and front end in the half ton Ram, they cannot take the constant weight of any plow. The larger the plow the worse the problem. Also with a larger plow on a lighter truck damage to the truck frame can occur when hitting a snow pile or an unseen object. You may find that if you do put the larger plow on, Dodge may not honor your warranty.
  5. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Look at a 26 series sno-way 7.5 They are under 500 pounds and have down pressure.

I just bought an 08 ram 1500 if I decide to put a plow on it I will prolly go sno-way.

I owned a 26 series awhile back on a dakota and it worked great.
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

thats like giving your wallet to your wife and seeing whats going to happen, either she's going to find pictures of your girlfriend or spend all of the money:eek::D

seriously guys, how could you possible give that advice. Do you want to fork over the money to repair the ball joints, steering box, and anything else related to the front end? Hell I have a 2500 which is built much more solid and I am still repairing all that stuff.

I think the snowway is your best bet. - and this is from a diehard fisher fan.
  7. pmm

pmm Junior Member

A snoway or fisher homesteader, something light weight. BIG PLOW=BIG TRUCK or small truck with BIG repair bills.
  8. smofeet

smofeet Junior Member
    from chicago

i got one for sale checkout smofeet on this site brand new plow

RIVERVIEW7 Member

One of my frinds had one on his truck like yours he had a 8' ultra mount and it handle it no problem
  10. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

The new Western HTS (412 lbs)/ Fisher HT (414 lbs) would be a good choice, along with Snoway 26 series (451 lbs poly, 473 lbs mild steel, 474 lbs stainless steel).
  11. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

Facts I know for certain about the Western Mid-Weight.

1 It does fit your truck and your truck carries it better than any chevy 1500

2007, DODGE, RAM 1500 SLT+20" tires.

The vehicle has a 4x4 drive train, Reg Cab body style, 6.5 Box foot box, 5.7L V8 engine type, 3900 minimum FGAWR, 3900 minimum RGAWR, 6350 minimum GVWR, and H13 headlamp type.

The blade selected is 7'-6" UltraMount® MIDWEIGHT™. The control type selected is Joystick Control.

The required ballast is 220 lbs.

I made some assumptions that your had the 20" wheels and the Hemi. Neither of these make a difference. The only thing you will notice is that I chose the regular cab instead of quad cab to get the mid-weight to be selectable. The reason the mid-weight does not show up with the quadcab is because western is figuring your truck can seat 6 people and with the mid-weight that may put you over your weight limit.

I know for a fact the plow will fit your truck better than any chevy 1500 because I have that plow on my Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with 20" wheels right now! I had the timbrens put in it as a precation because I noticed on high angle of attack driveways that the cutting edge would scrape a little when the angle of attack was greater than around 15 degrees at the driveway approach.

Alternatively you can also put a buyers snow dogg plow on your truck as well. They make a 7'6" mid and heavy duty that will fit your truck.

Go buy the plow you want if the mid-weight is what you want. The fisher sd also fits your truck at 7'6" wide.

As far as your dodge service aggreement. Ya I called customer service on that to as mine does not expire for another 30k miles. Nothing will happen to your service aggreement. The only part they wont cover is the plow and the wiring harnes of the plow.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sure do what ever you want. When you have issues tell them TonawandaNY told you it was OK so take their FVMSSA and their federal limits/stautes and their "not designed for snowplow applications" BS a shove it where the sun don't shine, you have TonawandaNY's permission.
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd certainly hope Brian made a plow purchase by now or else he missed out on last season....this thread is over 1 1/2 years old. :D

What did you purchase Brian?
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A new truck???roflmao:D
  15. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

LOL... My kids brought the flu home from school. I was not even looking at the date!

That is funny stuff...:drinkup:

I need one of those smiley's of me ramming my head into a wall..