1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need help picking a spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by palmtree907, Nov 24, 2010.

1. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

I am going to buy a spreader, but here's the rub. I want a hitch mount spreader (swing away would be fine) but none fo the brochures talk about spreading gravel. We don't use salt or sand here in Alaska, we use Pea Gravel (sometimes with a calcium chloride mix).
    I only do residential and a few multi family units, but the ability to through this media is what weighs most on my mind.
    Only one dealer in town has a unit in stock to view, all the rest have to order. I'm counting on you guys to help me out with this.

Cheers!:drinkup:

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I had a Snowex sandpro 575. Claimed it would throw sand..... not very well. I took out the V baffle and cut the bottom baffle in half and hinged it. (So I could return it to spreading bulk salt in a pinch) or have it open and spread sand. It turned into the best little spreader I owned. I use a V box now. The auger system might work for your app but i would ask the dealer for a demo first.

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Check out the Western Pro Flo. Expensive heavy tailgate unit but it uses a conveyor system that may throw pea gravel.