1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need help! Heater quit working in my truck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by YardWorksSD, Dec 24, 2008.

1. YardWorksSD

YardWorksSD Junior Member
    from 4

I am hoping someone can help me. Last night when I started my truck up to go and move some snow I noticed that there was no heat comming out. I turned everything off and listened as I turned the heat on. All I could hear was a click sound. It sounded like it was comming from over by the glove box. It was -5 last night and I had to move some snow with no heat and the windows open so the windows wouldnt ice over. Anyways the truck is a 97 Chevy 3500 diesel. Is there any ideas out there?
    Also I was wondering what kind of fluid do I put in my plow. I have a western plow and was just wondering. I have had a few different awnsers but want to know what it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Western plow fluid that you can buy @ dealers...If your in a tight pinch, I've heard of guys left and right using ATF in there westerns. I don't think the ATF does to good in the extreme cold though.
  3. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

The heater may be a resistance board in the heater box itself, fuse,or the switch control. The resistance board should be under the hood where the heater box is, lot of them just unscrew and take a multi meter to it and check the resistance and see if you are getting power to the blower motor, another thing it might be is the blower motor itself. Has it been that cold out before?
  4. YardWorksSD

YardWorksSD Junior Member
    from 4

We have been very cold for a couple of weeks. It got to 15 yesterday but as soon as the sun dropped it went below again
  5. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I'm almost willing to bet that it's the heater motor, especially on a truck that old.Last year I had to replace mine on a 97 Ford w/ similar circumstances. They really get a workout when it's that cold. Don't quote me on this for that truck, but the motor should be right on the firewall near the glove box (a little bigger than a soup can). You could try pulling it and run some power to it from the battery w/ a couple of wires...if it doesn't spin nicely, it's the motor. New from the parts store should be about $40., I think. You can also try the bone yard, but it should be common for that truck.

Oh yea, check fuses first! As far as fluid goes, try and find the right fluid from the dealer. You can use trans fluid, but I strongly recommend flushing the whole system if you haven't already done that this season. With those temps that plow will get very sluggish, if there is any moisture in the system and eventually freeze up on you.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  6. bbs08

bbs08 Junior Member

I bet its the heater motor also. MY old 94 GMC would stick so I would have to give her a little kick to get it started and then it was fine til the next time you start it. Try turning the fan on high and then give er a little bang under the dash, she may start right up for you. I new exactyly where to hit mine after a while. This worked for me for a couple months, but changing it out became a priority.