1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need HELP ASAP!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Rcappa, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Rcappa

Rcappa Junior Member

I just bought a 98 chevy k3500 for some plowing, I had an old western plow 6.5 feet that was used on an old truck to plow. I do not have much info on the plow and i know the truck can handle a larger plow blade but this is all i have for now.

My question is what kind of mount do I need for my truck? Any info would help. I know i dont have much info on the plow other than its a western and a 6.5 foot.

Please let me know any info you may have!

thanks,
    Rob

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

That 6.5 foot blade is no where near enough plow for your truck. Fully angled you won't even cover the wheel base of the truck. I would look for a bigger plow, at least 8' or 8'6".

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=85347

Here is a 8' Western for sale on the forum right now.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  3. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

any 7.5' plow would do a decent job and are usually cheap to come by. I would guess you could buy a 7.5' or 8' plow for just a little more than a mount and a set of wings would cost you for your existing plow.

That small a plow is really too small to do much on a full sized truck. It would be better suited for a mid sized truck, scout, or jeep.

4. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Judging by where you are located, you should be able to take care of a bigger plow than the one you have. Toby is right on the money, you'll be driving (packing down) snow while your plowing...not a good system.

5. Rcappa

Rcappa Junior Member

Yes i know it can handle a much bigger plow. The plow came off of my cherokee a couple years back. We just had a custom mount for the jeep tho. Until I can afford a bigger blade I would just like to mount it to my truck. Im just starting out and doing driveways so im going to work with what i have now. I plan on getting a bigger plow in the future. Any idea on the type of mount?

6. Grampa Plow

from Midwest

Figure out what type of plow (Western, Meyer, Fisher or whatever) then call that brand's distributor in your area and give them the make, model, and year of your truck. They should be able to give you the exact mount you need. Call around to get the best price you can. The last time I check on some mounts was a couple of years ago, but they were $400 or more. If you sell the plow, add the money you're planning on paying for the mount, you should be able to get reasonably close to getting a larger used plow. Just a thought. I understand when money is tight, you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck.

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

uni mount part # is 62330.

Heres the problem though with using the 6-6, the mounting lugs on the plow will be narrower than the lugs on the mount, the 6-6 is considered a sport utility and everything was scaled down to fit the narrower frames of the trucks it was intended to go on.

8. Rcappa

Rcappa Junior Member

So you think i could sell the plow i have now and put down 4-5 hundred i would come close to the price of a larger plow? how much do you suggest i sell my plow for? btw i really appreciate all your help!

9. Grampa Plow

from Midwest

See what you can get for the plow, add the price you are planning on paying for the mount and then look at a bit more for an 8 footer. It would be money well spent and it shouldn't be a done of money.

10. Rcappa

Rcappa Junior Member

i dont wanna get ripped off. what do you think would be a fair price?

11. Grampa Plow

from Midwest

Check on here what everyone thinks it might be worth after you describe what you have. I haven't bought anything used for quite a while, so I would have no idea. Once you get any approximate figure, put that together with what you'll pay for the mount. Then check on a used unit for you and you'll come up with an approx. amount being the differerance. Don't wait too long though. The season tis about here!