1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need Extreme V cutting Edge@wings

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Evan Freiling, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Evan Freiling

Evan Freiling Junior Member

I purchased my 8.6 extreme V last season and it was great other then the cutting edge.I used probally 3/4 of the the life of it ,are they making a 5/8 edge or carbide.If anyone knows please let me know.And Iam tring to find wings for it as well,not the pro-wings that you can get out of Northern.The ones either by fisher or something similar.Thanks for you help
  2. Evan Freiling

I still need info on a cutting edge/wings

Not sure if anyone has any info but I need a cutting and wings for a 8.6 extreme v blade. The factory edge is 1/2" and just melted last season was wondering if they make 5/8 or carbide and where to buy one.As far as the wings go I do not want pro-wings from northern tool, I was wondering if Fisher made there own.Any help would be appreciated.
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My dealer told me they (Fisher) are replacing A LOT of cutting edges for free. I believe I was one of the biggest pains in their butts last season,lol. Mine wore around an entire inch off within 6 hrs of plowing. They did replace mine for free but only after bitchin' for days and going to Fisher themselves. My dealer did come up with a solution that worked awesome! He put a set of Meyer curb guards in conjunction with the new blade and there was a huge, huge difference. It made the last 6" of each side over an inch thick! He is getting me a new one this season as well and we'll be doing that same set up. Good luck!

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

The problem with the cutting edges last year was that they are all one piece the new 2007 cutting edges are 2 piece. It was explained to me by my dealer is that is it because it is hard to bend hardened metal so the outer is hardened and the inner isn't for the bend. That is how it is on my XV which I picked up Monday.
  5. Brian Young

Kinda hard to put it in scoop or "v" if the cutting edge is one piece,lol. Just go with the 1/2" edge and use the Meyer curb guards, you'll get twice the wear! Get some pics of that XV up.:waving:

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

What I meant was each side of the V was 1 piece last year. For 2007 each cutting edge on each side is 2 pieces being 4 pieces total. The bend in is 1 piece for each side and then a long piece for the rest of the edge on each side. The stright piece is hardened the bent piece isn't

I will take pictures tomorrow
  7. Evan Freiling

not understanding?

How will the curb guards help as far as wear.I understand how they work but my problem is the bottom wearing.I took 5/8plate steel and welded 10" strips over the ends of the cutting edge for rubbing curbs.Are the meyer curbguards the same as Fishers.And do you know anything about Fishers wings.Where in PA are you from? Thanks for the reply and help.
  8. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Go back to your dealer and they should give you a new set. It was a problem from the factory.
  9. Brian Young

Those Fisher curb guards are a joke! they didnt fit on two different cutting edges, they always hung lower than the cutting edge. Usual wear is on a V blade is mostly on the outer ends and by having a thicker area the wear is minimal compared to just the regular edge. And I'm in Erie,Pa. No I dont know anything about their wings, I dont see the use for them if buying a V blade.
  10. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I have the fisher curb guards, they came off in about 2 seconds. The edge was over an inch off the ground. I have the "one piece edge". Mine is really worn and will need to be replaced before i use it this year.
  11. LON

LON Senior Member

Your dealer was sent new edges that they were to give you for free.
    I believe I have the wings in stock. Will check tomorrow.
    Knox, PA