1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need everyones opinion on the best tires for my truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jguck25, May 10, 2010.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Lately i have been looking at tires for my 1999 F350 7.3 Diesel truck and I havent had too much luck.. I am looking for a 285/75R16 Load range E All Terrain tire.. I have found a few tires that I like but i always find a problem with them after reading reveiws... I know it is impossible to get the "perfect" all around tire but I would like everyones opinion on what to use..

I need a tire that has good treadwear and wont wear out too fast, but also have excellent traction in the snow.. I would like to stay away from studding the tires because it is my year round tire. I have a short list of the tires I have picked out and was wondering what you guys think of them and if you have any experience with them
    The list goes in order of which i like best

1.) General Grabber A/T 2- these have really deep treads and looks to be really good overall traction wise. These are aslo the cheapest i found. They look like the BFG all terrains but my father had those which were great at first but they wore out real fast and sucked after 20K, and cost a lot.

2.) Toyo open-country A/T- a buddy of mine has these and he LOVES them. said they are the best tire hes had, but they are really expensive for what i want. I read some things online and some people loved them and some people said they suck.

3.) Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. These are what is on my new truck now but they need to be replaced. I have not had a chance to use these personally so I dont know how they would be. The guy said that they had the most traction out of any tire he has every had on any of his trucks, and he owns a landscaping/excavating company. I read reviews online and everyone says that they have good traction, but have extremely short life spans. like at around 30K they are BALD. and I cant be putting new tires on my truck every year..

Like i said I could use anyones opinion on these tires, or even if you wanna shout out a new recommendation i could use them. Everyone on here plows so this is the perfect place to ask this question.:nod: thanks for all the help you guys have been on my other posts as well

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I suggest round tubeless pneumatic tires.

Unless you plow lots of steps, then square tires work well.

The General Grabbers are terrible in the snow in my EXPERIENCE.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I love my Bridgestone Dueller AT revo 2s:nod:

4. prestige10

prestige10 Junior Member

Ive got Toyo A/T's. I Love em. Look great and perform very well for what Ive used them for. I dont LOVE them in the snow and ice but Ive never tried any of the other brands to compare them to. Great summer tire, so-so winter tire.

But like they say... all-seasons should be called no-seasons.

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

x2. we put them on all of our pickups.

6. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

ditto that

7. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

how many miles do you typically get out the the dueler revos though? Thanks for all the feedback so far, i would hate to spend the money on tires that suck in the snow and dont last long

8. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Anyone who says that the toyo A/T's "Suck" should be beaten with a club.

Hands down the tire I'd recomend to every single SRW plow truck application time and time and time and time again until something new proves them inferior. FANTASTIC tires, ride better than stock, perform better, and wear well.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

None of these tires compare to true snow tires for plowing.

10. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Cooper Discoverer M+S, or Cooper Discoverer ATRs, or MasterCraft Courser ATs.

11. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

These Tires i think will work.....:eek:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

try the Revos:nod:

13. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I have... Not even close

IMO... of course.

14. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

yokohama geolander, all the way

15. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

totally disagree. had them on my s10 before wrecking it. best tires ive had for the money never got stuck even in 2wd with no counter ballence for the over sized plow on the front of the truck. will deff be getting them for the next set when these i have wear out. plus they wore even and well.

16. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have to agree with this one. soft tire and always gets right down to the pavement in the snow. they work really well in 2wd with weight in the bed!

17. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

Yokahoma Geolander At/s is the best winter tire for the price. I think there are some better tires, but not at this price point. I get these and all my other tires from Discount tire direct. They have the cheapest prices, free shipping and most of the time no tax. So just have to find a mom a pop shop to put them on for like 10 bucks a piece.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=285&ar=75&rd=16

Also if you are going with a 285/75/16 you might consider a load range D, as a 285 load range D has almost the same weight rating as a 265 load range E, due to the larger sidewall.

18. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Yeah i have heard a lot of mixed reveiws about this tire and especially on tirerack almost everyone says that you need to avoid the white stuff with these tires.. they said they are fine in just a little snow but the second you touch ice or packed down snow they are horrible:nod:. Just what i heard so dont attack me about it :laughing:

I know someone early said to stay away from the General grabbers, but everyones review on tirerack has said they are excellent in the snow:confused: granted there were a few people saying that they were terrible but then other people say they are the best ever and they plow with them and have never found a better tire for snow driving

really confused at this point.. I would love the Revo 2's but for the price of those i cant afford to only get 30k out of them and have them like slicks at that point

19. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Thanks for that, that was another thing that i was wondering about and wasnt sure. On tirerack they only rate the 265/75r16 load range E about 100 lbs higher than the 285/75r16 load range D, but i wasnt too sure about that

20. JayMac

JayMac Member

Yokohama Geolander are the best AT tire I've had on my truck and SUV. I have Yokohamas on my car as-well. I've converted to them from Goodyear cause they're cheaper and better performing. There's my $.02.