1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i need advice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by anne, Nov 20, 2001.

1. anne

anne Junior Member
    from texas

I Need Advice
    I am trying to talk my dad into getting me a truck. I really want a a 1973-87 chevy. But, I have no idea where to start. This is kind of a broad question but if you can tell me anything i would be appreciative.

Annie O. :) :confused:
  2. bummerkit

bummerkit Member

well i dont know how your dad is but....
    the way i did it was to keep looking for a good deal in the paper. ( there are many of them) and just keep on him to go look at them and just consider it. dont get discouraged. if you want it bad enough you will come up with a way to get one. best of luck.
    keep us posted with results.
  3. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Hey Annie O.

Well, it looks like you are looking for good reasons to tell your dad this is a good truck for you, right? Here are a few things I tell myself to keep the truck around:

There are literally millions of these trucks on the road, so you can find a deal on one.

Parts are a dime a dozen and usually in stock as these trucks are made out of the most common stuff on the road.

Totally simple, anyone with a shop manual and some tools can work on them

And, best of all, you will learn lots and not waste too much money driving and maintaining your new truck

My Dad bought the 83 that I still drive now and then, new, when I could barrely walk, and I learned to turn a wrench on it, great investment I think.

4. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

I hate to say it but if i was your dad it would be a real hard sell.
    I let my son drive my k20 occassionally and i am thankful when he (and my truck) return safely home. I kringed the day someone stopped short in front of him (not his fault)and he locked up the rear( i saw it from another car i was in). I have had the truck sideways in the road myself. If you need a truck to work hard or play off road,and can fix it yourself it is the best think since sliced bread. I would perfer if my daughter asked for an s10 ....sorry
  5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Ditto what MTCK posted. '73 - '87 Chev/GMC's are my favourite trucks.

I should point out one thing to keep in mind with "older iron" - in my opinion they're great if you don't mind doing the required "wrenching" (and there will be - even the newest one ('87) is 14 years old now) yourself. Since they're pretty simple to work on, that's not a real problem as long as you've got the time and space available.

I bought a '75 GMC C-35 way back in 1986, it was my first "wheels". I've tinkered and modified and rebuilt etc etc on it, here's a pic I took last weekend:

Yep, still got it and don't plan to get rid of it! :cool:

6. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Hey Rob, the truck looks great. I see that picture and see HOURS and hours and hours of work :) Glad I'm not the only crazy one..... Are those blue lights legal up there? That's what our volunteer fire fighters use here, and I don't think I'd get too far with them on :) I will try to post some pics of the rigs soon, I've been inspired.

7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

MTCK - I think Ontario is the only place on the planet where a blue light indicates "snowplow". So as long as you're pushing snow here, they're legal!

Our volunteer firefighters are permitted to use a flashing green light when responding. Police/ambulace/fire are red & white, and good 'ol yellow covers everything else.

Looking forward to seeing your pics! :cool: