1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need advice from Southern folks or Northeners with insight.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by greenguyslc, Dec 4, 2011.

1. greenguyslc

greenguyslc Junior Member

Ok .. Here in alabama snow contracts are unheard of but there are a few. I am pricing a retail contract and this is the first in my area to require a seasonal snow contract. Ok .. ANYBODY.. I would like to have some advice on bidding considerations. I am not gonna go buy a pusher or big plow. I will be using a Tractor Loader and Skid steer, would consider a plow for f-350 if reasonable and also want to know if ATV plows are usable. the lot is pretty large and I have a 1" trigger. Lot size is prob 80k or more. no removal just pushing. salt included and need a seasonal price. My concern is In north bama snows are rare and with a 1" trigger is a huge guess.. most 1" events are gone by noon..lol any advice on equipment or pricing considerations are welcome. FYI the loader would have a blade on front in place of bucket.. 7'

2. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I am in Central KY, we have a little more snow then you all, but not much and not near what the guys up north get, heck it was almost 70 today!

A lot that big, I would not even thing about an ATV take you all day!

The loader with blade and the skid steer should work fine, but if you only get 1" there is hardly anything to push. I would think that salting it only would work better. That is what I did with one that I had that was an 1" trigger with only 1" snow, but it was small lot.

I have had the same issue, snow is there in the morning, but as soon as the sun comes up it starts to melt off, then the client wants to know why you charged them for plowing when it melted off by 10am....

Contracts are rare here also, I make people sign them, or I charge them more for all call work. Most people here want to wait till they have to get out, or there customers complain for a couple days before they call, then they want packed down snow cleared, while there customers are driving around like mad bees for half of what you bidded the contract for!

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It's hardly worth messing with snow plowing in this area of NC, but we do have the potential of getting dumped on. Two feet fell here about 10 years ago and shut everything down for a week.

I seriously doubt it will be worth your time and aggrivation down in Alabama. 1" will be gone in a couple hours and you'll look silly playing with a little slush and then sending a bill.

4. greenguyslc

greenguyslc Junior Member

I understand 1" isnt worth fooling with and salting will be my best course of action. Only reason I am asking for suggestions is the contract calls for a season price on snow... so .. i will give them a price. If this year is like last season, we had 2 snows over 8 inches and several more 1" snows. And going with salt .. best options and where to buy smart???

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The key factor will be your overhead and operating costs, but you already know that. You don't want to dump 5k on a plow and not use it for 10 years. That's why I spent over a year piecing together my Fisher for a little more than $1000 and the first storm (3 years ago) made my money back. It works as good as a new one. The tractor and skid steer are perfect because they are useful 365 days a year.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

whats the avg snowfall in a season for killen alabama? like 3inches?

7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

you should be ashamed to call yourself a kentuckian....its YALL!

8. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

:laughing: Blame it on spell check, it does not understand the correct way to spell Yall:laughing: