1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i need advice for my 1999 f250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mzamboli, Dec 1, 2015.

1. mzamboli

mzamboli Junior Member

Hello every one i need help, i have a 1999 f250 with a front axle weight of 4000 lbs , but western said for me to get a 8' ft pro plow series 2, it needs to be rated at 4400 lbs, dose any one know if its the axle? or can i just get some beefy leaf springs?? i truck is in really nice shape i don't want to destroy this truck i just want to work it ?! I am trying to expand my plowing this year, and have 2 trucks running, if anyone can help that would be great thanks much!!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe try the Ford fourm.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

This fourm is foR posting pics,
    As mentioned try the ford section below..

this sure happens a lot, maybe leading off with the fluff pic section isn't the way to go?.

Maybe a mod will be by and move your question to the ford section for you.

And welcome to plow site:waving:

4. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Member

If you are having the dealer install the plow, they may not do it no matter what modifications you do to the truck. There is a lot of liability for them if they do not follow manufacturers numbers. You may need to get a smaller plow.

If you are installing the plow yourself, you need to think about your own liability if you get in an accident.

The axle rating and leaf spring ratings are two different things. Axle ratings vary due to ring gear sizes, axle shafts, and maybe even bearings, depending on your particular axle. Springs are an easy thing to swap or modify, but if your axle shaft snaps because of too much weight, then the springs did you no good.

In reality, the 400lbs is likely well within the actual capacity of the axle, but you have to decide how much risk you are willing to take on by "overloading" your axle.

Do you have the HD or the Super Duty? There was a mid-year model change in 1999.

5. mzamboli

mzamboli Junior Member

its the super duty,, but thanks for the quick response every one i will also try the ford form , thanks!!!

6. Hopalong

Hopalong Junior Member

I ran into this issue when I tried to get the plow mounted on my 2008 f250. However I maintain a fleet of ford trucks for the city and borough, everything from rangers to f550's. I rebuild ALOT Front ends. The parts are all the same between f250 and f350. When you call the parts store to order axle u-joint and ball joints they don't ask what weight rating your truck has. When you call and ask for suspension parts they do. I put a set of coil-rite air springs in my truck and the dealer happily installed the plow. Only reason I didnt install it was due to the fact I just got out of the hospital, was too busy, and they gave a little bit of a deal on the install.

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

ahhhhh NO

for one thing, the 99 F250 had a dana 50 front axle, and the 99 F350 had a dana 60 front axle.
    there are parts that are different between the F250 and the F350.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Yes sir, the F250, 99 thru 03 (I think 03) used the 50.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Only difference would be the brakes.
    Single rear wheel vers dually.
    Fine thread lug nuts, vers course.