1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need a tailgate spreader and ability to tow a trailer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Smitty58, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I am looking for a new spreader that I can mount on my flatbed F-350 and still pull a trailer. I know a V-box will work but what are my other options? Since the majority of my customers (and me) are used to bagged salt the V doesn't make a lot of sense. So I'm looking at different options for tailgate spreaders.
  2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

u might be able to make a bracket to mount the spreader on instead of using the 2" receiver, ive seen swing away systems mounted on dump trucks so the spreader swings away so you can drop the gate.
  3. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

If you don't drop enough material to warrant a v-box with a swing-away chute, then most of the tailgate models have optional mounts besides the receiver mount. FYI - I've been neck deep in spreader info lately as I am thoroughly exploring my options before making a purchase soon.
  4. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I've been considering a Buyers v-box or the new tgs06 tailgate which has stake pockets so I could mount on the flatbed instead of in the receiver. I go back and forth on the v-box, not really big enough yet to justify it and I am ued to using / bidding bags. I'm also considering putting a small spreader on the atv. I have a budget of basically $2000 to put in spreaders ,just trying to figure out the best way to go.
  5. procut

procut Senior Member

I havve one of the old Western Pro Flo 1 spreaders on one of my chevys with the hitch mount (It does not slide into the reciever slot). It appers you could adjust the hopper high enough were you could put a reciever in and hitch a trailer to it.

Western doesn't make the Pro Flo 1 anymore, but I'm sure you could find a used one somewhere.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snow-Ex, Meyer and Saltdogg offer a bumper mount sytem
  7. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

If it's a flatbed, why not have a receiver tube welded in higher up so you can use a hitch mount spreader, with the trailer ball directly under it? Most flatbeds have a fairly high deck to clear the wheels, and have plenty of room back there to get creative. Otherwise, I believe Snowex and Western have truss mounts which mount to the truck bed with the tailgate off, could use something like that on the flatbed...
  8. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Could you mount a second hitch to dedicate to holding the spreader?

9. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I had the same thought about the 2nd receiver, so I searched for that. There are double receivers available the only question I have is if there is enough clearance to do both. I also found that there are a couple of spreaders with swing mounts that would work. So now I'm thinking about a Snowex 1075.