1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need a new fuel pump

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 515CUSTOMS, Jan 5, 2011.

1. 515CUSTOMS

515CUSTOMS Junior Member

I need a new fuel pump for my 96 1500 with the 5.7 that range from $110 at the parts store to $325 at the dealer. I just dont know if i can find a OEM one for cheaper than that.

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

New Delphi at Napa is $109

3. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

Buy the one from Napa they are the best by far. I only use fuel pumps from Napa, the cheap Advance Auto Parts and Autozone pumps will fail and leave you to drop the tank all over again, and again. What good is a lifetime warranty if you have to change it twice a year? Just my 2 cents but i have replaced a ton of cheap fuel pumps for people over the years.

4. 515CUSTOMS

515CUSTOMS Junior Member

Is the Delphi the OEM pump or is it ACDELCO. the Delphi pump is 70.79 on Rockauto.com, and now im hearing the wire harness can go bad and you need to change to the new style.

5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I've replaced A LOT of fuel pumps in trucks like these. I've always had good luck with the delphi pumps. The biggest thing to keep in mind is to install the updated wiring harness EVERY TIME. Also, try not to let your fuel tank run too low, its quite hard on the pump.

6. 515CUSTOMS

515CUSTOMS Junior Member

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I doubt to need the sender and all, you can do just the pump

8. 515CUSTOMS

515CUSTOMS Junior Member

Can i do just the pump and the new wire harness or dose the new harness go to the sender and pump

9. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

The new pump and sending unit should come with a new wiring harness.

10. Sp3cialized

Sp3cialized Member
    from CT

Its not really necessary to waste money IMO on the new harness every time. I have only replaced any fuel pump in any GM I've ever owned once. Just make sure you clean your grounds and make sure the thing operates at correct pressure (install a new filter obv) before you put the bed back on or the tank back into place.