1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need a name for a part

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ZRT1000, Jan 2, 2007.

1. ZRT1000

ZRT1000 Member

I bought a 97 350 PU for a extra plow truck and it came with something I have never seen before. It is a short fiberglass truck cap that has 1 door on the back and has 2 seats inside of for people to sit in.. Does anybody know what they call this? It is nice and I bet not cheap to buy. Thanks

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

A Sleeper...

They used to call them sleepers around here.Allot of racers used to have them on their tow vehicles.Not sure what the trade name is but I am sure they are still being manufactured and sold...
    This photo was from an auction on ebay today....

sleeper cap.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  3. Rickco

Rickco Member

You should check your with your state. Here in Mass. they are called ileagal.

4. Oshkosh

???

The one in the above photo states it is DOT legal??? It is a new revised version of the old style...So they say.
    Sometimes states are slow to catch up...
    If you happen to have an older version then it mabe worth nothing if the DOT did crack down on them!!!

5. Rickco

Rickco Member

A friend of mine had one a few years ago. He was pulled over,nobody was riding in the back,and told it would need to be removed because it had seats in the back of the truck.They were not allowed. Passenger crash safety or something. So he just took it out instead of fighting over it.

6. Oshkosh

That maybe why....

I remember the police cracking down on people in the beds of trucks a few years back.... Subaru had the original Brat with the seats in the bed and that went away....Some sort of crash test data probably...

7. ZRT1000

ZRT1000 Member

It looks like the picture but this one has a door on the back rather than a window and it has 2 shiding windows on the sides. The truck came with a full cap and this was in the back of the truck. I have no need for it and would sell it.. I guess people from mass should not inquire ...Thanks

8. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Don't know what it is called, but I know Lund makes some without seats, just a big storage compartment.

9. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

10. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

LOL, great answer!

The caps themselves are legal in NH, but no passengers are allowed to ride in them. You can use them for extra storage, but they require removing the back window of the truck

11. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I think I read somewhere that people can ride in the back of pickups in NH if you are 18 or older.. so why not under a cap?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The law's very of course from state to state but it boil's down to no seatbelt's.

13. ZRT1000

ZRT1000 Member

RYDER .. Yes it is the walk in road runner with seat package and it does have setbelts in it with to 2 seats.. It is a nice setup ..

14. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I know a lot of guys get those with beds in them and use them as sleepers. Trying to be a big rig without the big $$$$ I guess. A lot of racers use them when at the track. Seems to be a good idea. I doubt you could sit in there while the truck is moving legally.

15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

In MN you can ride in the back of a pickup with out seats or belts.

Think about this, you can ride a motorcycle in our state with only sunglass and shorts on if you are over 18.
    Seat belt laws are just a way for the states to collect revenue. it has nothing to do with safety or motorcycles would be out lawed.

When will they start making motorcyclist wear seat belts.lol... whats next doors.:dizzy:

But you can not ride in a trailer.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pa. is the same way, you can ride a motorcycle on the highway without a helmet but not an ATV in the wood's! Seat belt laws appy here too.

17. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

I will check on this because many years ago you could ride in the back if you were 18+ but I know someone who told me he got a ticket for doing it. My cousin is a cop here in NH so I'll ask him