1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i need a little help charging the right price for these 2 property's HELPP

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by benben, Nov 26, 2010.

1. benben

benben Junior Member
    from ny

ive been doing residential plowing for 3 years and now got 2 larger property's they are busy shopping centers
    how do i work (ie. how much snow has too be down before i plow)
    1 property has about 200 parking spots (small one)
    the larger one needs salt and has too be plowed behind the building(large property)

can u guys please help me id really appreciate it

202 location.jpg
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You need to ask the owners, or property managers what the spec is on trigger depth, and where they want the snow, and so forth. None of us own, or manage the properties, so how can we help you price the lot?
  3. benben

benben Junior Member
    from ny

on average i do the 2" protocol
  4. benben

benben Junior Member
    from ny

by the way i re-measured the property's the rectangle one happens to be larger. (57-58k sq ft)
    and the other prop comes out being 46-47k sq ft how much salt do i use per prop and how much do i charge? like i said im new to commercial props and id really like 2 jump into the field but would like advise from the experts thx for the help
  5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

What size plow are you using? Both lots are a little over an acre. Rule of thumb is 1 acre an hour with a 7.5 blade at 2-4 inches of snow. We usually put down around 700# of salt per acre. As far as price I dont know your market and cost of doing business. Good Luck.
  6. benben

benben Junior Member
    from ny

on average what would u charge? it snows on average less then 10 times a season but atleast one large snow storm thats about 10" and were saying 350lb of salt per prop what do u think is the min to charge so i wont be lossing and ill figure the quote out from there
    (i live in ny)

thx for your help guys i appreciate it
  7. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

this would be best adressed in the bidding and estimate section.

but looking quickly. based on your sizing of the lot. $250-300 w/o salt per push. thats in my area idk what it goes for in your area.

also the price would have to be ajusted for the hours of operation of the places how busy the lot is. lots of variables on commercial properties. layout of the lot where they want snow. i all the snow has to go one place it would raise the price.

also gonna want to price for 5-700 lbs of salt. especially in the shopping center. dont forget your liability insurance. gonna want pretty big policy for that
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  8. second income

second income Member

Shoot for 250 per hour per truck plus walks 1.8 yard v-box full load $300per app These are just rules of thumb that seem to work out for us in Jersey.
  9. benben

benben Junior Member
    from ny

Thanx but I'm looking to charge them by the season not by hour
  10. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

In my area SE PA, it would run somewhere in the neighborhood of $5-7K.
  11. 09Busa

09Busa Senior Member
    from NY

okay....so as second income suggested, shoot for your hourly, how long it will take you to do the areas per push....x how many storms you figure you will push...I suggest figuring more than 10 pushes at 2 inches. You say you live in NY. Central, NYC or upstate?.....snowfall varies from Watertown to Yonkers...j/s
  12. benben

benben Junior Member
    from ny

its in upstate like about 25-30 miles from NYC its on the border of NY and NJ (Rockland County)
    and id rather not do the hourly because the customer is asking seasonal
    the reason im asking so many times is because i dont know how to estimate the salt id need too put down?
  13. benben

benben Junior Member
    from ny

how much should i charge for plowing and salt per season?
  14. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

15. benben

benben Junior Member
    from ny

r u serious and is that for the 2 property's i was looking in the ball park of charging 6 per prop but im not sure if i am lowballing my self here
  16. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

its called sarcasm. You're going to get a lot of that when asking for direct prices. You need to figure out how much you need to make per hour, and how much salt goes for in your area. Everything you need has already been listed here, you just need to do a little of the work yourself. If you are expecting them to give you a price and your just going to relay that to the customer, then you probably shouldnt get the job.

People have already told you how long it will take to plow it, and they have said how much salt you will need on average to cover both places. All you need to do is find out what you want to make per hour, and how much salt will cost you. Find out how much per push, and then use the figure they said per acre, and then add those two together. Then Times by how many times you push on average. Then add in a fudge factor of say 2 or 3 pushes and 2 or 3 extra saltings.
  17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You say you "got" these properties already???

Is there not a price you already agreed on to "get" them???
  18. benben

benben Junior Member
    from ny

i got that information around here it cost a little over 100 for a yard of salt.
    so thats what im aiming for and i appreciate the help.
    i figured if u charge some one 26g u gotta keep a backo or d9 on a property.

i just dont want too over charge or lowball my self and be screwed over.
    one property is owned by a friend the other is a past customer from my dads company

thx a million for your guys help
  19. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Perfect advice!...... I wasn't going to be as thoughtful in my response..... In other words we've given you time figures... you need to set your price..... If you can't do this with
    the information above, your not ready for sites like these......
  20. benben

benben Junior Member
    from ny

the reason i was asking a few times was to make sure im in the right "ball park range". when u buy a new car u go to a few dealers before u buy one.
    again thx for the help i appreciate it