1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need a big spreader.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rdbpower, Dec 26, 2009.

1. rdbpower

rdbpower Junior Member

We have a Hiniker 1.5 yard spreader currently, but its a pita to run and fill it all the time. So what I have is a freightliner fl70 with a 16' contractors dump and want a spreader that can use all the bed/truck capacity. I do not want a tailgate spreader, because I cant run around with the bed up. Any help would be great.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think Downeaster makes some big stuff. Of course there are other brands. You are really into Municipal stuff at that size.

How many hoppers do you use right now?

3. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

4. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

4 yard saltdogg

5. Mackman

from S.E. PA

6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Henderson FSM 10' S/S 12" extensions.

7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Or if you have a central system, Henderson FHM I, 12' w/54" sides.

8. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

www.swensonspreader.com They make some pretty big stuff. Thats just what we mainly use, there are other companies out there that make large stuff too. If you can get ahold of it, look into what the state truck spec sheet had on it to see what the state is running spreader wise. I would have to assume that what they use is of fairly good quality with the amount of use they would get.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Four yard spreader in a wheeler? Isn't that like putting a riding lawn mower on a triaxle lowboy?

10. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

LOL....funny post

11. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I used a 5-6 yard downeaster, was a nice stainless unit, think it ran like 7500 bucks..........

12. rdbpower

rdbpower Junior Member

It isnt a hydro unit, it has a electric lift.

13. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

You know the bed doesn't always have to be up with a tailgate unit.

14. Mackman

from S.E. PA

I was thinking that too. I would go with a tailgate and just raise it up and put salt in the back and put ti back down and go. Tailgate units overall are the way to go IMO.

15. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

For the money, I'd put a liner in the bed and run a tailgate spreader to start with. A good UHMW liner will greatly reduce the angle needed to move the material--I swear by them.

:D

16. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We just mounted up a swenson electric tailgate and painted the body with a heavy duty very slick paint, I forget what its called but it's very thick and very slick, salt slides really easily. We have it mounted in a 25900 GVW truck with a 14 foot high sided body. We haven't scaled it yet but assume we can carry about 6 yards and be legal. So far we are very happy with the decision to go with the tailgate.

17. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

after using my first tailgate, (undertail gate) ill never buy a V-box again unless i need to salt a parking garage

a Vib will really help reduce that angle as well as the slick paint or poly insert.

on a side note, the 16 foot dump, does need to be raised pretty high in the air to get a decent angle on it . so banks and places with low over hangs might not be the best thing.