1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need a better LED beacon

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by sabres07, Jan 13, 2009.

1. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I have an inexpensive LED amber beacon (Hawkeye brand, I believe) that is just not very bright, even at night. I would like to have my beacon light visible during the day, sort of like the ones you see on municipal vehicles.

In searching Whelan's catalog, I see that there is a rating of class 1, class 2 and class 3. Which are the brightest ones?

Any advice would be helpful to me....thanks.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

higher the class the brighter they are. We run Whelen Mini-Justice bars and they are fantastic. people really slow down or flat out stop for these lights. 360* coverage. We have run halogen and other grill/box mounted LEDs and they don't even phase people, but the mini justice's really get peoples attention. costs anywhere from $475-525 for the bar. I am ordering a third MJ tomorrow and picking up a fullsize bar for my Ford asap too.

3. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I have been reading up on the mini LED bars, but they seem to be over kill for what I need. I only need to be visible in my street at the end of my driveway. I figured a bright LED beacon would be suitable....I like the idea of LEDs due to longevity and low electrical draw. Those mini justice bars are awesome, though.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

we do almost all driveways and having 360* coverage is more important there than it is in a commercial lot. Are you just plowing your own driveway?

5. Italian Bee

Italian Bee Junior Member
    from Calgary

6. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

Yes, I am just doing my own driveway and some family members' driveways. I re-read the mini-justice posts, and they are awesome.

7. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

ah, ok, definitely hard to justify a $475 bar then. to be honest I doubt I would even spend the coin on a led bar/beacon for such a small amount of work.

8. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I bought that hawkeye light a couple years ago and its pretty much useless. You should be pretty safe as with any of the whelen, code3/pse lights.

9. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

i sell you my sho me led beacon for $100

10. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

What are the particulars on your light? Is it the Flashpoint Illuminator or the less expensive line?

I am hesitant to buy a beacon without knowing the particulars....

11. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

led lightbar

[​IMG]

I have the Able2 sho-me mini lightbar. They have an updated version of mine that is brighter but also more expensive. It is very bright, low profile and has many flash patterns.

12. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

Yea...the Hawkeye is a piece of junk....not even suitable for a lawn tractor.

13. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

here is a video but turn off your sound...sorry for the wind!
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N5YKu3fpV_8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N5YKu3fpV_8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    There are several more patterns. I always liked this one but seeing it on video I might play with others.

14. Fiafighterdude

from ME

15. Fiafighterdude

from ME

SLAM ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !:gunsfiring: :dizzy:

16. Fiafighterdude

from ME

i have that one on my kubota

17. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

18. Sno What

Sno What Member
    from CT

I have a Whelen L31 beacon on my truck and its real bright. Plus it has a cool "cruise light" mode. Got it on sale for around $200.