1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need 350 blocks (4 bolt mains)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Earthscapes, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

If anybody has any bare blocks laying around please let me know.
    I'll take anything bored up to .30 over.
    No Bowtie Blocks

Thanks,

Keith

2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Keith how do you tell if it is a 4 bolt main? I have a block that is stock out of a 77 GMC 1/2 ton 4X4 block and crank only send me an email and your where abouts and we can work something out Walt thegreatg2002@yahoo.com

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

1/2 tom blocks are 2 bolt mains. Only 8500 GVWR and higher will have 4 bolt mains. Also corvette,and some camaro/Z28's had them. You dont want a Mexican block,and you want to check them for core shift,many of the mid late 70's blocks left a lot to be desired,and werent suitable for performance aplications.If this isnt a performance application,id go with a 2 bolt main block,they are fine for up to 300hp.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

snowjoker, pull the pan and look at the main bearing caps. If there are 2 bolts on each side of the crank, or 4 bolts total, it's a 4 bolt.

If that's the original engine in your truck, the John's right, chances are it will be 2 bolt.

5. Earthscapes

from WNY

John it's for the race car 485 plus HP,, so 2 bolts won't work and it's not worth spending the extra money to have a 2 bolt made into a 4 bolt.

Walt they are probably right on that motor being a 2 bolt. most 4 bolts we have had have been 66-72's but man are they getting hard to come by.

Thanks guys

Keith

6. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Keith,

Just a question, you said that you want a 350 motor, but you don't want a bowtie (chevy motor) .... or am I missing something....

I am sorry to say the only motor that I have for sale is in the corvette that I am selling...

Pete

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have four.....but

They are worth big $$$.I have two regular 4 bolt blocks,and two of the good high nickel 4 bolts.All are standard size,very clean,complete core short blocks.The older 4 bolts are getting really rare.

I think I may have a few newer 4 bolt truck blocks,like 85 or 86 or so,but they aren't that strong.They are made in Mexico.

Around here,a good 4 bolt unbored block goes for $500.00 and up.Not quite sure if your looking to spend that,but if you want to,let me know,and I'll dig one up.

8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Two things that come to mind are.... the 4 bolt blocks are getting harder to find, and the prices are going up, not down.

The other, and I have NO experience with this, is that I have read quite a few articles that state a 2 bolt blocks, made into 4's, are actually stronger than factory 4 bolt blocks because of the 'splay' of the extra 2 bolts. Like I said, I have no idea how true it is.

Two GM products that won't be getting any cheaper as the years go by are 4 bolt blocks, and TH400 transmissions.

~Chuck

9. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

Two GM products that won't be getting any cheaper as the years go by are 4 bolt blocks, and TH400 transmissions.

hey Chuck,

what about 12 bolt rears?

;)

10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Well, I was naming 2, LOL. You are right though, good 12 bolts are getting real scarce. Though I guess the semi-floater 14 bolt is a decent axle to replace a 10 bolt too. Those 10 bolts don't like to be overloaded often. The 12 and 14 are much more forgiving.

~Chuck

11. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I second the use a 2 bolt and have splayed outers installed.
    Keith, You want to run close to 500hp and save money? Very hard to do. I would build the best bottom end you can as it will pay off in the long run. Balance that baby and use zero gap rings..

12. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

4 bolt long blocks

I don't know why one would object to the Mexican motors. I have two small block GM Mexican motors for my boat, 4 bolt, mechanical fuel pumps through rochester carbs. Delco HEI ignitions on both, fresh water cooled. One motor was built with reverse rotation and the other standard rotation. They run through 1 to 1 trannys with 2.05 to 1 remote v-drives.

Boat motors run under a constant load, and ther have been no problems with these motors. They push the 16,000 lb. boat along fine, and with the Rochesters they are simple to maintain.

These are great blocks with a slight cam change suitable for marine use. And the cost for a BRAND NEW long block ready for your own carb, fuel pump, distributor, manifolds and alternator, 4 BOLT Main mexican motor (# 263 GM part number) was $1265 each before the marine add ons. You can buy anybody's re-built unknown prior used block for your project, or you can get Genyoowine GM with a tremendous warranty for automotive use, for that price- 3 years or 50K miles.

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

Mexican blocks are junk.One out of ten is OK,the others all seem to have bad core shift,and poor cylinder wall thickness.Put it in a stressful performance environment and your asking for trouble.Problems get worse when you start boring them oversize.

They do have a marine application,as an anchor :D

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

That's funny!:cool:

15. Earthscapes

from WNY

Chris is that Canadian or U.S. Funds. I'll give you a call next week. The other motor will be done at 8 am friday so i'm looking for another block just in case this happens again.

I know that 2bolts remade into 4 bolts are stonger. I just can't justify spending the extra money to do it. Our motors are already built .60 over so when they blow, boy oh boy do they. I should have taken a picture of it. I didn't even need to take out all the oil pan bolts cause part of the block came off with the pan.

BTW thanks Guys :waving:

16. wyldman

wyldman Member

Prices are in CDN $$$.Give me a ring at the shop anytime 9-6 mon-fri.Phone # is on my website.I'll PM you my cell # too.

Not sure where you are in WNY,but I could run down that way and we could meet up somewhere halfway or something.