1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I may be sued

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by carl b, Feb 15, 2007.

1. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

well one of the subs put the truck on a sidewalk..the customer called, and said that will crack, or chip the one-two year old concrete..will it?? or do you think he is looking for cash..should i run from the account??he calls alot ( i gave him money off twice this year just to make him shut up )so this will be my last year working for him...

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I think he is looking for you to give him some of his money back again.
    You did it before so now he wants you to do it again.

The ground is frozen so I doubt you did any damage to the walk.
    I would politely say we will keep an eye on things.

Next year I would drop him altogether as he wants to talk you down from the price you agreed to.

v

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

First off what kind of acount is this, commercial, residential? I agree with snofarmer, he is looking for something. I doubt the concrete would be damaged. I'd get some pictures of it very soon, just to help cover your arse. He would have a tough time proving that any damge later on was caused by driving a truck on the sidewalk. I wouldn't sweat him. Dump his arse next year.

4. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

I would run for the hills...Thats what I would do...I have no time for these people who think they know every thing...he spells trouble...I would drop him when you think the time is right.xysport

5. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

CRB
    I agree with the other guys RUN dont WALK he is trying to work you over.
    JOSH

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Think if you need this account.

Do you have a contract with him, if so stick to the terms of the contract, and tell him that you will no longer give discounts of any kind, and if not let him know that he can start looking for another contractor providing you don't need this account.

7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

First get some photos of the area in concern.

8. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

My Dad lives in a residential developement, the side walk is front of his houes and before the driveway. A blacktop apron is between the road and sidewalk. I have plowed for 10 years and no problem. the sidewalk between the drive and approach is built the same as the rest of the walking sidewalk. Many vehicles cross over side walks entering parking lots etc.

9. carl b

from Ohio

its a commercial account. and i do have contract it ends this year..thats why i should finish the year, but he's pissed me off.. this was one of six calls yesterday ( some good some not ) its 1/4 of my work load, but i sub most of it...so the money lost would be small...and its all broke up ..he has 8 accounts condos,commercial,and a duplex..also its a per push contract

10. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

dump it........

11. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I must agree with all of the above . Tell him to F/O . I bet this is the kind of guy that goes through contractors all of the time. He probably can't understand why there are no good contractors. Really were all good and he's the one with the problem. I do a section of sidewalk for my twp. ( 8ft. wide w/ bridges ) When it was new I wanted to run a skid steer down it, one pass nice and easy. The engineers that designed it said no. They would rather have a pickup loaded with salt drive down it. I didn't want to do that so I have a guy that does it with a quad. If the snow gets too deep we'll put a truck on it. Most sidewalks are built the same as a basic driveway so I wouldn't worry about damage.

12. Northland

Northland Senior Member

If the guy is complaining that the weight of a PICKUP on his sidewalk will crack it during the winter no less then he should be talking to the concrete contractor not you. What a loser...

13. carl b

from Ohio

WELL THANK YOU'LL FOR THE INPUT.. i'm taking pic's tomorrow my friend (thats an attorney ) said i need to keep it ( the job )until the snow melts..then 50-100 pic's of non broken walks.. and he said if you give a discount you already #ucked up ... so i no longer will give $5 bucks to make anyone go away.. NEW RULE IF A CUSTOMER SAYS ONE WRONG THING THEY CAN GO #UCK THEM SELF!!!:gunsfiring: :angry:

14. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

The concrete is at least 4 inches thick!
    Tell him If he doesnt like it, to file a small claims suit.
    And you'll file a counter claim. For being a PITA.
    Then the judge can laugh at him.

15. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

drop him right as the biggest storm of the year comes thru. ;)

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

SF, I just fell out of my chair when I saw your new signature. LMAO

I don't have any more intelligence to add and I don't want to see myself post just to post, so I agree with everyone else.

17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

As a ex concrete saw man I can see his point on the cracking.

If it is not a 4 inch walk then there is the chance of it cracking. Most if not all of your public walks are 4 inches or more depending on the placement and what goes over it.

If it is a commercial lot and building they very well could have only 2 or 3 inch walks installed. This is done as a cost saving measure during construction. They do not think of any vehicle driving over it. They plan on only foot traffic. If they thought about snow removal at all there wouldn't't be any damn islands in lots and all lighting would be on the edge.

Most home driveways are 6 inches and garage floors differ in city codes. When I built mine the code called for a 6 inch floor.

Make sure you do get pictures. I would not chance putting a truck up there again if I were you as he seems to be looking at ways to get money back. He has already buffaloed you to give back some. I would get a blower or something if you want to cut time from he walks.

I would not chance court either as you may get a judge who hates snow and plow guys.

Whatever your choice is be professional

18. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

tell him to call prarie material so i can drive my cement mixer over his concrete and pop each individual slab

19. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

LMFAO :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

20. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We had some sidewalk trouble at a commercial site last year. It did not crack it but it did chip up the edge of it pretty good. Because one wheel is on the driveway and one is on the parking lot it would make the plow tilted and would chip the top edge of the walk!