1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I may be a wet blanket to some but i have had a revalation

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by aus316, Mar 10, 2008.

1. aus316

aus316 Member

To alll my fellow plowers after saturday morn! after many hours here in akron clearin the storm! one lot to the next as i cruise along (BOOM!!)truck shuts off and i see thik gray smoke and fire from in my hood and i realize oh crap:dizzy:!!! i get off the side and panic and snows my best friend!! true it is just a eletrical short and a few wires to redo! but the i realized what if no snow or enough wouldnt have put ot the fire(my ask of u all my fellow plowers is to check u rig reguarly and put a exstinguisher in with u) sat morn about 9 am was a wake up 2 me !! true payup wise i lost 4000-5000$ for bein out sat-sun but the worse case coulda been a far bigger loss to all (ride safe my brothers and sisters and may all u dollars be white!!!!payup (and take a small amount(cash and time) a grab a exstingiser to protect u and ones u love):gunsfiring:

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hot

wise observation ,that i have not heard brought up before ,1 under the hood 1 in the cab ! good subject to bring up .

3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

all of our trucks are equiped with those little ones that are like a 1 gallon tank or something like that.they have been usefull many times.

aus glad your ok though thats all that matters.

4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

There's not always enough snow on the ground to put out the fire under the hood.

Good advice. Under $20 and you are covered.

FYI if you have DOT # then you need to have one in there already.

5. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

We have 1 in both the Dodge and the Jeep. Our ' 97 GMC doesn't nor does the skidsteer. So, I'm gettin there!

6. aus316

aus316 Member

U dont ever think till u are one sittin in middle of morn on side of road goin(OH S&&&&T) or dialin 911 since this happened a lot of fellow plowers and freinds have said (HMMMM???? Whats the chances????) trust me if u havent ever had the misfourtone of flames and smoke comin outta u hood outta no where while rollin along (trust me its scary):dizzy: and belive this or nor bein a mechanic i havent ever had this till this past weekend:angry: all my fellow plowers ride safe and think smart :gunsfiring:

7. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I have had it happen to me. Years ago I was about 17 I had a Camaro that blew a transmission line while I was blowing some donuts. Sprayed on the header and WOOOOOF! We used sand to put the fire out from the side of the road. Ever since then I have had an extinguisher in all my rigs. Have used it once on my own truck. Previous owners hack job electrical caught fire while I was plowing. Have used them twice on other peoples rigs, strangers on the side of the road over the years. Watched a buddies truck burn to the ground one night because he didn't have one.

8. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I posted this on the Winter tips thread after some said to carry an extinguisher. Years ago when I was part time I drove a school bus, turbo oil line blew and ignited. :yow!: ALWAYS carry a bigger one than you need. If it weren't for a town truck with another extinguisher, it likely would have been a total loss by the time the fire department got there.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Get a 5 pounder ABC or bigger. You can put out a huge amount of fire with one.

10. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

thx for the advice gonna get 1 for each truck.....just never really thought of it:drinkup:

11. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Just make sure you maintain them the powder hardens on the bottom with all the vibration of riding around. Pull them out and tip them over a few times and listen for the powder moving...If it doesn't give it a little tap with a rubber hammer..

12. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

thanks

I have a smmal one in the truck, but after reading all the posts, that is going to change. I will a bigger one in the morning. Thanks for bringing it up.

13. MickiRig1

When ever you go to use one try to bang the bottom edge on a hard surface before you discharge it. This will free up the powder that has settled / packed at the bottom. Sweep the stream of powder back and forth from close to you, to away from you. Don't use more then you need. You may need what you have left real soon. Make sure the pin is in place that keeps it from being discharged. They can make a royal mess if it gets discharged by accident. A 4 second burp cost me 2 hours of cleaning in the back of an ambulance.

14. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

pretty sure d.o.t will let ya know you need one too. heck they might even throw in a free trip to court. thats how i got mine. kindly reminded by the missouri highway patrol................ but really they are life savers.

15. MickiRig1

If you have a boat have one too. Even a little boat. I know a few people that have been dinged for not having one.

16. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

having a fire extinguisher is a MN dot rule along with warning triangles, truck check log, driver health card, displayed co name and city of origin, permit for over 8.5' wide (yes includes 9' plows), and no exceeding the gvw of your vehicle(Chev2500, gvw9200#, truck net6600#, plow 1000# leaves you with 1600# payload.) I wish they would enforce these rules better for everyones safety, maybe drive some of the ham and eggers out of industry.

17. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I recently started keeping a small fire extinguisher in my truck. It doesn't hurt to have one in there

18. SQuad

SQuad Member

My plastic fuel filter melted on a hot summer day ( using rubber gas line instead of steel ) on the hot exhaust manifold right after I left the gas station. I could see the flames from the opening for the floor mounted parking break on my 64 GMC. I jumped out with my water bottle and tried to extinguish the fire. Stupid me stuck my head inside the engine compartment to make sure it was all out when a ball of flame burst heavenly taking my eyebrows and what's left of the lonley soldiers that scatter my receiding hairline. Got an instint 2nd. degree burn from on an allready sunburned forehead. A container truck stopped in the other direction with a fire extinguisher to help but the traffic wouldn't let him come across so I walked out into traffic to save my truck. 2 day delay in my moving schedule. Had to replace all the wiring under the hood including ignition wires and cap. Now I have 2 fire extiguishers on board. Ironic cause it's an x firetruck.