1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I made the news....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rywnygc, Jan 23, 2012.

1. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

Another plow scam hit Western NY. I decided to help by plowing for free for scam victims. Crazy? Maybe... Another video can be seen at wivb.com under the call for action section, but it doesn't have me talking. I had to record this with my camera, so the quality isn't great....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2khwpunEFNQ

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Your doing a great thing, if I lived in the area I would be sure to help out, but Im in MA.

PS. Thanks for your service.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That is very generous of you. Karma will reward you.

4. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Good job. And thanks for your service!

5. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

I figured since we haven't had much snow at all ( I think we are about 4 1/2 feet below average right now), costs are way down so I could use some of that saved fuel money on these drives. I'm trying to get a Ford Ranger (very small driveways) right now, so that I can dedicate a truck to that route and take on a few more. It's tough though since it's tax time. My normal route is about 20 minutes south of that area. I have a guy that will volunteer if I get a truck for him to run. I have already gotten a call from a church offering a donation for fuel or to put towards a truck.

I sure hope these scammers get jail time. It's pretty sad when you rip off elderly disabled people and dont think twice about it.

6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Vary nice! You will have lots of new customers from here on. Thank you for your services as a vet, and for being a good person!

7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Hats off to you... That's a great thing you're doing there.

BTW... Watch the back of the A-frame when your plow lifts at 1:50 in the video.... The rear of the A-frame lifts a few inches before it starts to pivot... definitely looks like something is broken. Check your main pivot bolt that goes through the pivot beam and the A-frame, and the sleeves that it goes through. Also, the pivot pins that go through the configuration plates into the pivot beam... both are pretty common issues with Ultramounts, and I couldn't help but notice. Just sayin... Hate to see you get screwed with a break-down. :)

8. Jaysled

Jaysled Member

Good Job brother!! It will come back to you 10 fold.Thumbs Up

9. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

Yeah, it's pretty worn.I had it looked at by the western dealer at the beginning of the season and he said that it wasnt going to break, but it moves around while driving. I will take another look at it in the daylight tomorrow though just to make sure. I have a back up beater truck with plow and this plow goes bye bye after this year. Switching over to a Boss VXT.

10. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

wow, yeah that is moving a lot more...... definitely looking at that tomorrow!

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Nice job
    ? I have for you
    Was the scam lowball prices or was they at the market rate

12. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Good job man.

13. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

They were at or above market rate. Some were way above. One woman had a single car driveway that I couldn't even pull my truck all the way into, and they charged her 400 for the season. 12' long at best, no sidewalk.

14. tread lightly services

tread lightly services Member

kudos to you!! these scum will get what is coming to them...karma is a bi*ch!!!!

15. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

Rumor has it they were found and arrested last night. Not sure if it's true, but I'm sure if it is, it'll be on the news today or tomorrow.

16. warrior88

warrior88 Member

All I can say is you're the man. I hope they did get whats coming to them. People like that should be shot. You sir are a very special kind of guy. I wish we had more like you.

17. StrongestDad

StrongestDad Member

Awesome brother. And I'm sure u will break even this yr in tips and new clients. Next yr will b all profit!!! Go team USA!!!

18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Man, Buffalo is giving all of us a bad wrap. Glad you stepped in, even if you only ended up plowing them 2 more times this year your their hero, might want to think about adding another truck next year, I think you'll need it. We pick up 1 or 2 a year from people who were only plowed out a couple times when under seasonal contracts. I am putting together a pamphlet for our company for next year and it tells people what to look for and questions to ask contractor's to hopefully weed out the bad apples.

19. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

So on that driveway what the rate should be And whats the figure at per vist

20. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

I wouldn't charge anymore than 225-250 for the season and that may be on the high side. I literally pull in, drop the plow, drag it out, put the truck in drive and push it to the side of the street. Total it takes about 25 seconds, if that. There is no cleanup because my blade covers the entire driveway (plus an inch or two). No shoveling required. The drive is so small that even without my plow, I couldn't legally park my truck in it. I would hang out into the street.