1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I lowballed a lowballer and feel great about it

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by motodad, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motodad

motodad Member
    from midwest

I have plowed this pizza joint for 6 years and we all know how loyal some people are but anyways I was told thet they went with a cheaper plow guy so I asked ok how much did he cut me by and was told $25 So $%^$# it I plow them for pizza's now. First time I ever did this and man It felt good. I didnt lose either the guys love it as when they are out plowing and get hungry alls they do is stop in and order a pizza. Sweet how it all worked out.
  2. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I always try as hard as I can to make positive posts. You lowballed a lowballer and your proud of it. Sorry, sounds to me like you gave up!!! We all run into these people every day. People willing to work for nothing, beer money, money for smokes and now you are working for pizza. I really am sorry I can't join in your excitement but I am trying to make a decent living and pizza is cheap. No wonder this profession is going to hell.
  3. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Your going to get the small pizza on this deal....:jester:
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

my dad use to plow a few places for years.

1 was a resturant. had huge around 5 acre parking area and full around bissness areas.

he got 60-80 bucks each plow then every month 2 adults and 1 kid ( me ) anything off menu all we had to do was leave tip.

this was back in the late 70's early 80's man did we both get a deal.

and he plowed a machine / fab shop also just up the road. anytime the plow or somthin worth fabbin up on the truck broke all he had to do was drop it at the delivery door. it was fixed the end of that day no questions. he got a small fee also with that place to.

1 time we had to back up 2-3 miles down the county road / over the highway bridge / and down the next road cause tthe plow broke and couldnt be lifted up. but it draged just fine. i barley remember that from my vary little years. i am 32 now. so thats over 25 years ago for me. boy did the people on the road still late that night give us some funny looks.

and since we are talkin old school got to give my props .

:angel: R.I.P. 1970 gmc 2500 4x4 350/4speed/205/4.56 posi rear / 8ft6" western. she was a good old tank but sadly the salt/rust got here good and she had to be put to rest. ussmileyflag
  5. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I kinda did the same thing when I had a slightly different route.A pizza place was plowed and had a regular.Well I stop one day to grab 3 slices and a soda.It was like $6.50 or so .He said if I could give him a sweep everytime I came by I could have what I wanted to eat.So for about 30 seconds of work to push a blade or two of slush gives me a whole pie if I want it.
  6. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

You low balled a low baller are you proud now, So I guess you can call yourself a Low Baller now. How could you sink so low to work for pizza. Pizza does now pay the Insurance , Gas ,Wages, Wear and Tear. We will see you in the Unemployment line someday
  7. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Dear Mr insurance agent:

According to my bill I owe 1400 per year in insurance. How much is that in pizzas?
  8. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

Dear insurance agent. I can no longer afford to pay my premium. But I have good news. The pizza place I plow for said you can stop by and get a slice and a small coke for free. I am sure if we talk to him he will give you free pizza to cover me durring the snow season.
  9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

ya know guys your all hell bent on the frigin low ballers killin your jobs.

well now one of us got the heads up on them for 1 job your all bent the he!! out of shape for savin the job.

mabye he gets food there a lot and was gona spend the money there anyways feedin the family these days it hard to do.

so he found a way to kill the low ballers deal and still feed the family. its not like all his jobs are now swap out deals . i dont think he is that stupid.

give him a break and fell good in the fack a low baller is NOT takin our work we have worked hard to keep. thay will remeber this good faith jester and it will come back later to help him out.
  10. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I lowballed a lowballer and feel great about it

This is his statement. Now to me it means he is working for less money than the guy that lowballed him. If he wants to work for pizza, burgers, or ***** paper it makes no differance to me. However if he wants to come to this site and brag about it he should be willing to listen to the opinions of the people who he is bragging to. If I can't make a decent profit, my equiptment is going to sit. I am not going to tear my equiptment up for pizza, beer, burgers. Someday I may walk away because it just is not worth it anymore, but I will not give in to these lowballers. Just my opinion.
  11. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

maybe its a really small lot, I had a pizza place in town that had a 2 car lot, everything was on street parking, I'd push that for pizza I guess, but I eat pizza alot.
  12. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

Some guys plow churches for free, some plow older people free, some for their neighbors for free. As long as the pizza place isn't that big, I don't see the that it's a big deal. Get fueled up on food and off you go. As long as this is the only lowballed place.
  13. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

The best way to beat lowballers and still keep a worthwhile market for everyone, is not to get so possessive that you get possessed with gettin the lot back. Go on your merry way, take care of your present contracts, let time go by and chances are the contract might come your way again at your price. This is standard in the highly competitive snowremoval biz, newbies come in and gotta get set up and will work for low low prices, once the honeymoon is over with the trade and breakdowns and depreciation takes effect the brains kick into gear ,prices get to market value.
  14. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

some of you guys take the lowball thing WAY too personal. If you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen! If snow removal is your first business then you need to find something else if its that bad.
  15. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i like the fact how some of you members chime in like you know everything about his operation.

of course since he is now only working for food at this ONE account he is not going to afford insurance, truck payments, clothes for his children and will soon be living in a snow fort he hollowed out at an account he used to do.

undercutting once or twice does not make you a lowballer. just dont make a habit out of it.
  16. duane1982

duane1982 Member

I say rock on.

We eat out a lot and if you ran the numbers vs. what you got retail food wise and what you would get retail plow wise and are on the upside good for you.

There's are more than one way to skin a cat........Thumbs Up
  17. motodad

motodad Member
    from midwest

dforbes your just to funny and im glad your looking out for my biz. Lets clear some things up so you will sleep better tonight. 1st off I have 70+ accounts ALL commercial , I plow 6 other lots around this pizza lot, I have 9 trucks and 2 loaders with 15 guys working for me everytime it snows .I also pay way more than 1500 a year for ins. I have done this snow thing for 19 years and Im only 38 years old. I make more in 3 months of plowing that alot of people to in a year. I do not post this to brag but im doing very good and have put up with this lowballer for a few years now and got tired of it and the owner told me they just need to pinch there pennys, SOOOO since I have had them for so long and I disliked the ******* that tried to under bid me and my guys and my familey likes pizza I said what the heck lets work this out. Now my guys are very happy that they get to save money while out plowing on food and this makes for a happier crew which makes me more money than I would ever make billing this same place. dforbes get a clue, if Im making 10 grand everytime it snows do you think im missing the $50 I got for doing this pizza lot? If you lived by me dforbes I would take 1 of your accounts and do it for free just for posting such a bs post about something you have no clue about.
  18. motodad

motodad Member
    from midwest

True very true. This last storm my guys ordered 5 larg pizzas and they thru in the drinks also for free. It would cost me alot more to take my guys out to eat if I paid out of pocket. Its the little things that makes workers happy and keeps them working hard for you.
  19. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

The one I do is always plowed and I am just taking off the little bit of slush/snow that trails off the plow.I would be doing it anyways so that when I park i do not get my work boots covered in crap getting into my truck.It is no big deal plus his pizza is GREAT !!! He will usually give me a whole pie to take home at the end of the nite.To each his own and like the one poster said if this is most of your yearly income maybe you should have stayed in school abit longer.Me---I already have a great real job with 5 weeks vacation,sick leave 401k,retirement,etc. This job just pays for the toys and my snowmobiling trips.
  20. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

I see no problem in that
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.