1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I love when they do this.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DodgeBlizzard, Oct 28, 2010.

1. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

So I stopped at one of our commercial customers today. This particular site as it was, had VERY MINIMAL places to pile snow. And they don't want ANY stalls used for stacking of snow. Now a simple stacking of two 6"x6" timbers will make it even worse. We used to push the snow in red lot toward the West end. We had to push it up the hill but it worked. Now during the offseason, they installed the timbers to stop the mulch from sliding down the hill. This means we NOW have to Pull it out, then push it out of that area and down to the South street side (marked in green). A simple little thing means more headaches and time. What kind of upcharge would you guys give on this ?

Susquehanna Medical.jpg

2. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

About how much extra time would you think? I have an idea but I would like to base it off of your time...

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I hate shuttling snow, especially when it's coming out of a blocked off section like that. Off the top of my head, I would go with another 30 minutes, depending on what your using for equipment of coarse.

It looks to me that your not even going to have enough space to put it all up front. Your looking at removal several times over the coarse of the season. How have you made out in the past with just the frontal section?

If it were me, I would shoot for the moon, then explain that it would be in there best interest to allow you to have some of those stalls. People can be so oblivious to a situation until you hold there hand and explain it to them with dollar signs.

Have you spoken with them about this new situation yet. Have you already bid and won this account for the season, or are you just getting into it now?

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

After thought: Have you considered removing the obstacle and re installing them in the spring? I obviously can't see it in detail, but it would be something to consider if it's a simple structure. Give them an hourly rate to do so, it may turn out to be cheaper then the alternative(s).

5. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I have a feeling the customer will hate that...I know it is logical, but customers don't care. Tell them you need the spots or must charge for removal with a skid steer and dump truck which will cost them payup or see if you can get the neighboring lots and have a written agreement for a common snow spot. If you do that, have everything written out though. And make sure that you explain that if you do removal that person A is paying X% of the removal cost and person B is paying Y% of the bill. Spell it out and have a lawyer take a look at it. It works for us.

6. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

We have done this lot for at least four years now. Every year, we just stop at the office to make sure we're doing it again and they act like I shouldn't even be asking that question. So we're currently awaiting management to call back to confirm. I didn't look at the 6x6 too close. With a construction background and a skidsteer, I'm sure I can take them out and replace but don't really want to, and doubt the customer will want that option seeing how they just paid to put them in. And to the comment of putting snow in the adjacent lot....haha that won't be happening. Besides the fact their is nowhere on that lot either, we used to do that lot also, as they actually are the owners of the entire property, including the one in question. Two years ago, I had to take them to court. The first and only time I've ever had to do that. It was a learning experience. (a funny story actually) I had all my ducks in a row and won without question. The guy was actually cool about it. We talked before in the lobby before going into court and he realized it was a lack of communication on their part that caused it to get to that point. Nonetheless, we haven't done their lot since. Anyway, this customer has never complained when they want changes, they ask for a new price and say ok. They have changed from stacking snow in corners to wanting all stalls kept clean. They have changed plowing trigger points. After a slip and fall from a doctor (scary phone call to receive) they have changed to a ''wet'' lot at all times which is what I tried to sell them from the beginning. But every time they change, they pay without question. We have never had to haul snow away from the lot, but it's been close. But I think this little addition of stacked lumber will change that this year with any decent amount of snowfall. I'm thinking an addtional 30 minutes will be needed as one of you guys said. just for plowing. And I think an hourly rate will work for snow hauling. And I think this is another great reason to look even harder at those 16' ebling pull plows. Back up into that lot, pulling the snow all the way to the other end. Wonder if the customer would go for a $ 8000,00 upcharge so I can get one? haha