1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i love new stuff. Plz help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by JDWalkbehind, Jul 11, 2009.

1. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

before anyone asks i already spent an hour looking through old threads (about 20 pages) and went through westerns web site. ok so i just got a new to me western unimount pro plow 7,6. it was a pretty good deal an i wanted a back up. Any way we go get it unload from the truck i hook it up i'm playing with it then i realize it won't come down, it does every thing fine but lower. so i had to take the plug above the quill out to lower it. oh an i broke the quill bolt head so i have to take that out tomorrow. i noticed the fluid hadn't been changed in awhile so thats on the to do list tomorrow too. ok enough rambling my question is if its not the quill what could it be? it raises an angles fine. could a solenoide be corroided. if so how do i check. would it be a valve or something like that? an i had my other plow out last week playing with it, same model and everything else, had no problems so i know the truck side is good. oh one of the plow side light harness pins is missing, not sure what it goes to i couldn't find a exact diagram, (9pin) but i think its for the high beams. if anyone knows where i could find a diagram of that too. that'd be awesome. thanks in advance. sorry for the long post-thanks nick

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wanna bet the pin your missing is for the drop/lower function? ;)

Check the pin out diagram in the manual, page 48: Unimmount mechanics guide

3. JDWalkbehind

well as usual you were right the pin that's missing is the lower function. i think i'm just going to try and trade or buy off of someone a whole plow side light set up. now that i know thats the problem should i still go ahead and take the valve manifold block off to get the quill out? or should i wait till i get the harness fixed to see if it needs adjustment? thanks for the help i was really worried about this.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes thats what I suspected. It has 9 pins...and needs them all. :D

Finish testing the plow first before bothering to tear into the quill. But instead of changing the harness just to test, simply take a small finishing nail and cut it down to fit into the truck side plug to act as a "temporary" pin. Note: Make sure the broken pin isn't still stuck in there first.

This will allow you to finish the test and check the drop speed. Then if you deem it necessary to adjust the drop speed; then work on getting the quill out. Got plenty of summer left yet.

You are aware that you can purchase a plow side repair plug pigtail instead of replacing the entire harness correct?

5. JDWalkbehind

ok i'll do that to check it i think i'm gonna work on it a little tomorrow so i'll let you know how it goes. yes i knew they were available i need lights too, so i was going to try an see if another member wanted to trade or sell a whole plow side light harness with lights. if not owell. And ya i know there's still plenty of time left i'm just anxious with my new toy i guess. thanks again i appreciate all the help i'll let you know how it goes

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good deal JD, keep us posted and you're welcome. :salute:

7. JDWalkbehind

ok it was that missing pin, did what you said with the finishing nail and it worked fine. the blade drops a little faster than i like so i'm probably going to that care of the quill. i was thinking of taking the valve manifold block off and drilling it out or seeing if i could get ahold of it better with some channel locks. is there anything special to remember when taking it apart? beside how it goes back together:rolleyes:? Thanks

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing special to disassembling it other than like you mentioned, remembering how it goes back together. :D You'll need a seal kit for it of course too.

To try and remove the quill, submerse valve block in a container of ATF or diesel fuel for a while after you have it off the pump and fully disassembled. Then (and if the quill is still protruding from the block a little) take a 1/4" nut and weld it over the quill. This will give you a good means to turn it and the heat will help loosen the grasp of corrosion. Be careful with the heat as the block is aluminum and don't attempt to turn the freshly welded nut until it's cool. A little extra penetrate oil under the nut right after welding and an ice cube on top helps too.

Only attempt to drill it out as a last resort. You can damage the block with a drill bit a lot faster than you can with heat.

9. JDWalkbehind

ok thats a great idea, never even thought of welding a nut to the top to take it off. that will be much easier that trying to drill it. An definitely let the weld set up before trying to take it off. thanks again i'll start pricing seal kits and the light plug replacement. i'll let you know how it goes. thanks this will help a lot