1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I love my unimount plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dogplow Dodge, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I bought my plow second hand. It was in working condition prior to purchasing it, and it worked ok during the first couple storms I used it in,......

Well, over the summer, I wanted to change things up a bit, so I ordered a bunch of new parts for the plow to make it reliable... as it was looking kind of tired. I called a bunch of places and everyone was super high with rebuild costs, so I thought .... "how hard could it be ??" I took lots of photos of the wiring to make sure I put it all back together the same way I found it, as I knew I'd screw that up if I did anything..

I searched the net and found new parts

1. Pump rebuild kit
    2. New Oil Pump
    3. New cylinders
    4. new hoses
    5. new fittings on the cylinders
    6. new pump piston
    7. new solenoids
    8. new western fluid
    9. all new bolts for the blade and brackets
    10. new clevis pins for the quick releases
    11. new controller

After compiling all the parts, I disassembled the entire plow/ blade, a-arm, etc, and went to work.

After cleaning all the original parts, I put all new bolts in where the old rusted crap resided. The bottom a-arm was a little worn out @ the junction where the bolt goes through the front cross bar, but it wasn't terrible. I figured the little bit of play didn't hurt anything before, so what could happen now..... hopefully I'm not going to eat my words....

The process of rebuilding the pump was rather straight forward. I simply disassembled the parts, and laid them down on a big table in their respective order that I removed them. I cleaned them.... then I cleaned them... then I cleaned them... did I say I cleaned them ? Oh, yeah, then I sprayed them with compressed air to make sure all parts were dry and free of any debris before reassembly.

It really helps to print out diagrams of the unit you're rebuilding, and torque everything to spec., as it's easy to overtorque bolts, as most of them are not high torque numbers.

When I had to replace parts, I simply switched seals, o-rings, solenoids, valves, and whatever else, and tossed out what was bad. I think total time start to finish rebuilding the pump, including the cleaning time was about 5 hours.

I put the unit back on the truck and filled it full of "Western" blue oil that it's supposed to have. Put new hoses, connectors, cylinders and wired the unit back up. It took a little while to purge the air out of the lines, but i had it up in the air with a floor jack, so there wasn't really any issue, once the air was purged.

I love my plow. This unimount completely disconnects from my truck and doesn't leave that big pump stuck there. I think it's a great design and I look forwards to many years of use..... as long as I keep up on the maintenance, that is....

As a gift to myself, I even went out and bought a new blade assembly to make it completely new and reliable..... Now all I need is some snow to push around, and I'm good to go....

Did I say I cleaned the parts before reassembly ?:laughing:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  2. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

awsome. thats what i need to do to mine. tho i would recommend cleaning the motor aswell. i had a nightmare over that this morning. oxidized contacts can show themselves pretty quick

3. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I replaced the motor with a new one.

4. birddseedd

hehe. rich punk.

i am desparatly hoping mine will last the year. now that its clean and working it should last more. need to get a new one next year.

5. birddseedd

since well be lucky to plow once or twice more at the most.

6. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Nope, I wish

It's called investing in your tools and machinery to be able to make money reliably. You need to spend money in order to make money.

Who wants to deal with breakdowns?? , when all it takes is a few hundred dollars, a few hours of your time, a couple cans of brake cleaner, an air compressor, and a flat clean surface to do yourself the service.

Anyone with basic mechanical knowledge and hand tools can rebuild these units.

7. birddseedd

ya. thats where iv been at for the last 3 years. anything that i didnt need for my mortgage was put back into equipment. im hoping to go full time this year.

end of hte summer or so i want to go over my plow. rebuild. sandblast. weld in a few open spots. everythign top to bottom.