1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I love my Tractor!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnoFoilFisher21, Mar 10, 2003.

1. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

Well me and my mighty tractor had made it through the winter with out any hard times! I shouldnt be saying that yet because it aint over yet. But she made me alottt of money this year with lots of Driveways.. The only bad thing that heppend was me almost getting hit by a bigg ass plow truck due to carelessness early in the morning staying on top of driveways lol:D But shes holdin up like a buety and im ready for some more snow!! BRING IT ON!!!!! :D im so stupid
  2. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

I love mine too. Cant beat the heated cab!!

3. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

LOL 99SDPSD u r right, i cant beatur heated cab, i have a little craftsman tractor. Ill have to look into buying one of them lol
  4. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

So how do you like using a tractor instead of a loader? We will eventually be getting something as a larger piece of equipment than our Bobcat as the commercial part of our business grows, and we like to look around at all the options. For the past few years at the stock show we have looked at the Zetor tractors. Are there advantages or drawbacks to using a tractor compared to a loader? (Oops! Sorry, I should have done a search on this, but was just popping out a reply on this thread . . . . ) One of the local contractors has a big New Holland tractor. It is BRIGHT blue, and does it ever stand out in the snow! We have also looked quite a bit at the Kramer-Allrad all-wheel steer loaders. They are a smaller loader, and actually I think they are being marketed in the US under Gehl and Mustang now. Ok, now I am really getting off topic, sorry . . . . .
  5. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

Tractors are a versatile tool for fighting snow. We have 4 tractors for the use of farming. But they are useful for snow removal. 3 of the medium sized tractors have loaders (2 have buckets one has a 9 foot curtis plow and rear 9f snowblower) The largest tractor has duel rear wheels and a 15 ft power angle blade (in the process of boxing the plow with custom wings) Ill find some pics i think i have some from inside the cab. These tractors were used alot in the big storm last month.
  6. columbiaplower

cab view

big storm 019.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2003
  7. columbiaplower

The big boy

big storm 003.jpg
  8. columbiaplower

another cab view right up near a garage door back dragging

big storm 021.jpg
  9. columbiaplower

ANd the last one a cab view were you can see the long gravel driveway> When we pulled youy the drive had not been touched. THe tractor made sort work of it.

big storm 020.jpg
  10. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

I plow with a Universal U-643-DT and I love using it. With a snow bucket for stacking and plowing and a rear blade that angles and can be adjusted from side to side it makes a great snow weapon. What I often do on long pushes is to use the bucket for the bulk of the push but have the rear blade down and adjusted so that it catches the tail off from the bucket and pushes the snow to the unplowed side for the next run. It is a great machine for small to medium size lots and is indispensable when the snow gets to deep and drifted for the plow trucks to punch through. (We get a lot of drifting in our area) Mine is outfitted with cab heat and a radio that make the long hours comfortable. It is next to impossible to get stuck with it. If it does bog down just put into granny low, lock the diffs and idle on out.
  11. columbiaplower

bog down...........???????????:confused:
    What does that mean???:D :D :D
  12. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

The part that I see is that with a tractor with a loader mounted plow is the reach. With a loader you have about 2' of reach to the end of the loader arms + another 3'+ for the A frame and the blade. I am able to stack snow over 12' high. with a skid steer you have limited reach an not the same pile climbing ability as you do with a front loader on a tractor or a TLB. During the blizzard I was able to set the blade 2' off the ground and push back drifts with ease. I also ran hyd. hoses on the loader arms from the rear remotes for angling inside the cab. To make the blade setup i have about $500 invested inc. hyd. hoses.
  13. CMLLawnservices

CMLLawnservices Junior Member

Here`s mine : its a 1969 Cockshutt 1550 (oliver in the states) with 6 foot mckee blower with 6 inch drift cutters on each side , about 60 hp . It had a loader but got traded on a clutch job:( i`d really like that loader back:mad: lol, i`m in the process of building a blade that goes on the back of the blower so that it scrapes better when i`m backdragging , i`m going to see if i can find an old grader blade from the county and get something like that welded in place. it doesn`t back drag well in pavement cuz the blower its only about 1200 pounds. I only do this part time when the grass isn`t growing to pay insurence and put gas in my sled.
    Have a good one

14. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

We never really used a loader until the blizzard of 02'. Our plows were all that we really needed. Between the large amounts of snow that we received and the fact that all three of our plows were down at one point was when the loader came in to play.
    It's an older Ford farm tractor type of setup but in came in handy in several applications. It came through when needed and worked very well. Jake.