1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I LOVE my Sno-Bear ( so far anyway)

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by CruZer, Feb 15, 2007.

1. CruZer

CruZer Junior Member

The storm that hit the NE this week finally gave me a chance to really try out my new plow.I bought it on clearance at my local Home Despot last March and never got to put it to the test.
    Well, I got to plow about 8 inches of snow/sleet mix and that plow on my S10 pushed everything I could throw at it. The cheezy plastic sight rods broke the second time I plowed.They just vibrated right off,so I painted some threaded rod flourescent orange and put them on.

So far I'm very pleased.

2. cjcocn

cjcocn Member

Just make sure that you push your piles back nice and far to give yourself room for the next snows. Snowbears don't like moving hardened (re-crystalized) snow.

Sure beats a shovel, don't it? :D
  3. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

Cool another SB believer!! We just got slush/rain down here (south shore MA)..but I did move the inch or 2 of crap out of my driveway with my SB. Moving snow from a nice warm truck cab...Got to love it..beats a shovel anyday!!

Funny that ur rod broke, mine is still going good after all these years..it is quite flexible and well made on mine..maybe there was a design change.

Do you have a strap or chain to lift the plow? If a strap..you MIGHT want to pick up a spare or 2 before it breaks. Mine is an older unit with chain...and it works well. Not a single failure on my SB, even the winch is original!!

Yea..do make sure you push the snow back as far as possible..made that mistake the first year!

4. MSB1766

MSB1766 Member

I have had a snowbear for about 12 years, not a single problem yet. When I bought mine I ordered it from the factory there were no dealers after I bought mine they called me and wanted to know if I wanted to become a dealer. It came shipped to my work via tractor trailer they would not ship to my house. Came in three boxes and had to put it together. It came from Canada. Hope you have the same luck with yours. I have pushed so much snow with it.
    Its not the make of plow but the operator and good tires. I pushed 10" with it yesterday like it was nothing.
  5. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

another believer !!

works for me !!

IMG_0001 (Small).JPG
  6. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

As far as the guide rods ....yes had trouble with them breaking....put a couple of clear 1/2 " id tubing pieces that I had available, over them (3") where they slip over the posts and have not had a problem since !!:nod:
  7. iviatticus

iviatticus Junior Member

Well after much contemplation, I broke down and got a SnowBear. I picked it up used for about 4th of the original cost.

The only problem is the negative terminal broke off the winch. Does anyone have any experience with winch repair?
  8. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

I'm into the 2nd year with my Snowbear Flexblade (poly moldboard - mounts into a 2" front rcv hitch) and have just gotten thru two days of a Maine blizzard with it. They are saying that our area got 15.5, and of course you add to that the town plow factor at the end of the driveway.

While it did take a little effort to make the 1st pass through the big stack, eventually it got completely chipped away. I can't begin to imagine shoveling that out, and who want to blow it when there are winds gusting to 39mph. So the Flexblade on the little ol Cherokee did just fine.

I just wish Flexblades were still available from the company (dropped them because of low interest) so more could experience them. So, for a low-buck expense (whole rig Jeep and all cost less than a hydraulic setup of a homesteader or one like that), plenty of return on the investment. For some older pics, search for "Flexblade" or "big ugly switch".
  9. CruZer

CruZer Junior Member

I took the advice posted on here and ordered a replacement strap for my plow.$6.99 each.SHIPPING $12.99 !!!!!!! So, I ordered two of them.I figured I'd pay the same for having two shipped as one and I wouldn't have to order again for quite awhile.

Watch,,,,, now my strap will never break . That's OK.It's good insurance.

If this weather ever gets above zero and wind stops blowing ,I'll take some pix and post them here.
  10. minneplowguy

minneplowguy Junior Member

Hey guys glad to hear people talking positive about the snowbears. I have h:gunsfiring: ad mine for about 3 years and just put in wireless remote for raising and lowering the blade which is real nice not having that huge box hanging through the door and stuff.

Send in some good pics if you can seeing all the snow keeps missing us and its great to see others getting good use out of theres.
  11. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

I never cared for that big ugly switch either, nor the snow blowing into my ear thru the opened window, so an electrical engineer friend of mine helped me design a series of relays and now I have a nice long 3 way toggle switch on the dash in easy reach of my left hand, making the whole process so much easier. Total expense was under 40.00 So far, here we go into the 2nd year with it and so far flawless results.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  12. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Here's a big ugly switch solution for under 40.00 and a little soldering.

13. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Oops forgot the toggle pic, sorry.

14. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Nice circuit and looks like a nice clean install. Your friend did you right if he spec'ed the 60amp relay for you as well. With the crap coming from China it is even better these days to double rate contacts. :)

If the plate on the motor does in fact say it will draw 30amps, I would be a little concerned about your open power connections to the relay (more so where the neg crosses the positive contact). 360 watts still enough to burn through that insulator if it is not rated.

Otherwise glad to see you got it working, and I am sure it will do you fine. :)
  15. minneplowguy

minneplowguy Junior Member

Cool. so how come snowbear doesn't have a spot on this website and how come there aren't rally any pics of memebers vehicles with their plows on ? as soon as i get a chance i plan on posting a few and hope others do as well.
  16. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Snowbear plows are an inexpensive means of putting a plow on a vehicle.$1000.00 few years back and off season on ebay for about half that.
    They are really for personal use. I own a few apartment houses and it works great for me.
    The other fact is my rig is a 99 Chevy Astro AWD not many options for a plow on that....:realmad:
    There are a couple of guys on here that use them commercially ,and hats off to them.
    But the forum is really based around contractor folks,so that is why you prolly don't see them interested in advertising here,although Snowsport does ....:cool:
    I have never seen a Snowsport but never thought it would do what I needed to get out of a plow.
  17. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

never had a problem with mine ... Great for driveways and small commercial lots .... 7 yrs and still holding up to the Michigan snow ..... for $500 dollar clearance sale at lowes ... and 7 yrs later mmmmm... PRICELESS !!!!
  18. iviatticus

iviatticus Junior Member

Is there any way you post your parts list and maybe a bigger picture of the diagram? I am having a hard time finding 60 amp relays. Thanks.
  19. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

(They are 70 amp relays)

Search for "First plow of the season with the snowbear + lite mod" and you will see some of that. Those relays and the switch were all available from Farmco Auto Electric in Bristol PA, and it wouldn't surprise me if any good auto electric shop would have them. If that's not helpful enough, email me at bdhunter7@roadrunner.com and I will send you a word document with pics.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  20. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

If you cannot find them in a shop you can try here.

Careful on the 70amp rating. Some relays (and I am pretty sure the ones you have used), use the normally open contact rating (or even worse an influx rating). That is the amount of resistance the relay can provide before it does make contact. Or in more simple terms, the amount of power that might make the contacts arc and conduct electricity when it is not suppose to. That series with the 70 in the front of the part number I am pretty sure has a normally closed contact continuous rating of 60 amps. I only wish I could make out the entire part number....

Either way you are more then safe.