1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I love a good ram charger

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by murphy4trees, Mar 5, 2007.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

I have been plowing with a 1987 ram charger for a few years. I bought the truck in '03 and put the plow on it. It was clean back then. I had an 89 charger before that, which I put a plow on as well. I love these trucks because I specialize in small parking lots and tight driveways.
    So this past summer I bought an 88 ram charger with a plow system, no blade, as a back up. Well my buddy blew his rear so we put that charger on the road in the middle of the last storm. He told me it was not going out of 4x4 into 2 hi easily. It was sticking. One of the things I love so much about the charger is that it has auto locking hubs. I hear there is a vacuum system that contols the axles, which could be sticking and I should pull it out and clean it, in case there is some crud in there that is causing it to stick.

Also this truck has a lot louder humm when its in 4x4 than my other two. This has me concerned.

The oil was filthy so I'll probably get all the fluids, engine, trans, differentials and transfer case changed. Any suggestions or advise are appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  2. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

I'm not sure if yours is vacuum or not but if it is there is a kit you can get from 4Wheel Parts that uses a cable and knob to engage the axle rather than vacuum. I am planning on putting one in my '96 Ram because 4WD take about 20' to engage/disengage which I can't stand, when I pull the lever I want it in 4WD now not when it thinks I should have 4WD. To determine if it is vacuum, there should be a unit with I believe 3 vacuum line running out of it on the pass side of the axle tube between the pumpkin and the knuckle. It's been awhile since I've seen on of the old beasts, they are getting rarer and rarer so I could be wrong about the location of the disconnect if it has one.

3. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

What he is talking about is called The Posi-Lok it is a aircraft grade cable that replaces your vacum thingy on the front axel of dodge trucks, I have heard good things about them. There site is www.4x4posi-lok.com check them out. I am thinking of getting the setup for my 95 ram because of the same reason G moore say it takes to long to go into 4whd and the las t storm when it was Really cold it would actully disingage itself because of the stupid vacuum thingy. Hope i helped you out.

4. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Yes you have the vacuum (CAD) part on the front of your truck.

Quick easy fix of the CAD is to tear it apart slide the sleeve over and stick the fork back down in. locking the axle together. Most of the time bladder gives up, you can buy them new at advanced auto parts for $60

I would be looking at the transfer case. You should have the NP241 transfer case, tag should be down and to the right of the rear drive shaft. The 241 should just pop out with out any issues. the CAD has nothing to do with it being removed from 4x all the CAD does is lock left side axle to the hub. If this were bad you would get no 4x but not have any issues shifting from 4x to 2wd. put it in 2wd and try spin your front driveline if it turns it is transfer case. if it don't jack both front wheels up and turn it again if one of the wheels spins it CAD issues.

5. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

When the disconnect died on a Cherokee I had years ago it would only engage about 50% which made a whinning grind in the front end since the splined sleeve was only engaging the axle shaft about 1/4" and would slide in and out.

6. On my 87 which I am the original owner of I had a vacuum front end on it and had the same kind of problems turned out the front axel had sagged or bent right at the vacuum housing from the weight of the plow and the fork inside of it would get stuck if I could even get it into 4x4 mode at all.I got a housing out of a 83 ramcharger and hung all my new brakes and hubs on it with a axel truss and that cured it.Now I have a pair of dana 60s out of a single wheel 1 ton cummins under it and have had no problems at all.As far as the tcase goes does it have the right kind of oil in it? and is it fresh or clean my truck has a 208 in it and its been really good to me even with a big block in front of it I run ATF in my case its kinda whiny in low but it works great.I would recommend getting rid of the vacuum front end and go with a later year housing as the vacuum case in the middle of the housing is a weak link Heck get a set of 60s out of a dodge and go with that its a lot stronger and will stand up to the abuse of plowing way better than that half ton stuff I have done a lot of these1 ton conversions on dodges and chevys the earlier years anyway and think its the way to go for a serious plow truck.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007