1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I know what it feels like to tip a skid steer...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Helping some friends unload some trailer's last night and of course we were unloading the last trailer. It was a 18ft low boy. I lifted the trailer off of my new trailer, he drove out from underneath it and I needed to raise it about 4" more to clear everything. Just as my new trailer was clear it started to tip forward. As I let go of the controls my foot got kinda stuck pushing down on the "raise" pedal and up the forks went with the trailer and it started bouncing everywhere. The trailer fell off, the skid bounced back and forth so violently it rolled back on the rear door then finally landed with the door about 3 inches off the ground. I about sh!t my pants! Only damage to the trailer was one fender had a slight bend at the outside lip and cracked the right rear brake drum. Damage to me...smashed my shins very bad, very sore neck and cracked my elbow pretty bad. It was quite an experience, I don't recommend it!

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Thats crazy! Ive been in a bounce before but never like you described.. was it foot controlls?

3. Brian Young

Yeah it was in his skid steer, a BobCat S185.

4. MIDTOWNPC

I had my own tip back on its rocker and then getting it out of that position was the bounce part. I was backing up and there was a giant ground hog hole that gave way.

Good thing nothing went terrible wrong... that can hurt the friendship. Shins heal

5. Brian Young

Well the thing is, I am a customer buying a trailer from them and the one guy said he couldn't make it but I guess he just didn't feel like unloading them. The other guys didn't know how to run a skid steer.

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

There is no way you guys should have been using a loader that couldn't easily handle the weight of those trailers. Well you learned a lesson, and got lucky you didn't hurt yourself seriously. I don't know the numbers but a lot of people get seriously injured or die from skidsteer accidents every year. Last year here a rental skid killed someone. They are extremely useful machines, but at the same time, dangerous!

7. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

It never fails to amaze me to see how many people climb into a skid and don't put on the seat belt, like the lap bar will hold them in place. They're usually the ones that crash it because they move around when it gets rough and end up doing something they hadn't intended to do.

Nosing them over is scary at first--salt pallets can make a standard S250 very twitchy, and a 185 won't lift them more than a few inches before lifting.

Glad you're OK, but seriously--how's the trailer?

:laughing:

8. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I almost always test the safety stickers for accuracy...:D

9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

never had the misforune of tipping a skid yet, one of these days its going to happen though

10. Brian Young

Well I got thinking, my skid steer is an open one for now (waiting on my door) and if the seat belt failed (like mine did) and wouldn't latch properly, I would have been thrown out for sure. I will never buy a skid steer without a door EVER! As far as the trailer....the only thing wrong with it is the fender got a bent up a tiny bit and the right rear backing plate for the brakes got bent. I talked to the guy this morning and he said all repairs are pretty much done.

11. Brian Young

Hopefully it doesn't but if it does.....LET GO OF EVERYTHING!!!!!! it might still hit hard but at least it won't start flipping you everywhere. I am sore today!

12. Westhardt Corp.

That could hurt. Personally, I think they need five point harnesses, but that's just me. Chances of getting hurt are pretty slim if you stay put, no matter what happens.

13. Westhardt Corp.

Sage words--rookies, take notice!!

14. Brian Young

It wasn't the weight per say, it was the fact it stuck out 8ft from the forks. If he had a weight kit on it, it probably wouldn't be an issue. I think the trailer only weighs about 1600lbs. But yes, lesson learned and in some one else's skid,lol.

15. buckwheat_la

first lesson of skidsteer training 101 at my shop, if you feel out of control, stop everything (if it flips anyway, it was already too far gone to do anything about).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  16. MIDTOWNPC

Are you not sappose to try and put the bucket down?

17. buckwheat_la

my experience, stop first, and get the machine to stop rocking, then put bucket down, kind of depends on the scenario, but sometimes putting the bucket down just gets you rocking more.

18. Westhardt Corp.

When in doubt, let go. End of story.

19. MIDTOWNPC

Good to know.

Ill try never to be there.

20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Thanks for the lessons and tips Brian....sorry we had to learn at your expense tho.