1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i know this isn't a plow truck.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by miltonplower, May 28, 2009.

1. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

my friend has a 2000 chrysler town and country but it has a transmission problem it's only got 120kms and it make a squelling noise and it takes a little while to get it into gear (you have to raise the rpm's. i thought it would be the tourque converter what do you think?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I presume you checked the fluid. Sounds like it's time to visit a transmission shop. It's possible you have a sticking solenoid, but more likely the trans has had it. Make sure you find a shop that will put the scan tool on it and drive it around. They should be able to see fluid flow to each clutch pack (or band, I can't remember). High fluid flow indicates worn clutches. Chrysler makes great minivans, but some of the transmissions were less then great. They are especially prone to blowing the pinion gears if you spin the tires trying to rock it. That would be a catastrophic failure which would disable the vehicle.

3. miltonplower

from ontario

do you think the transmission from a 1996 dodge grand caravan would fit same engine?

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would think so, but have not owned Dodges for years. If you have a salvage yard you do any business with, they should be able to tell you.

5. miltonplower

from ontario

any other optinons?

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

It could be pinion gears

because at my class 1 lady have van and told it get long time to go in reverse it was slipping really bad.

We find pinion gear was broke it miss 3 teeth.

1 question is it low on automatic fluid?

7. miltonplower

from ontario

no it's got lot's of fluid and i checked right as is started but now it's been sitting because it's well un drivaple.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have had two WindStars in the last 13 Years. I know it's a Ford but I have dealt with transmission shops twice with bad transmissions. The guys at the shops told me they all ( Brands )are going at 75K to 100K ( Miles ). They use a lot of aluminum parts to cut weight to raise the MPG a little bit. The aluminum just does not hold up to the abuse.
    You might get lucky and they can fix it without a rebuild. I never was, one went at 80K and the other at 30k. Under warranty but I feel they should go much longer before they fry!

9. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

my aunt and uncle had the same vehicle with the same problem. They got a new tranny under an extended warranty.

10. miltonplower

from ontario

well he doesn't want to spend alot of money he want's to do it him self but isn't sure if he should just change the tq converter or the whole tranny (the 1996 dodge grand caravan donner)

11. MickiRig1

First of all find out if it's toast. I prefer Mom & Pop shops. Most will do you right!
    The problem with changing the transmission is it's mounted to a sub frame. You have to support the engine with a support fixture or other " MickiRig " solution. Then drop the subframe and have enough space under it to clear the van and roll it out. Another problem is, if you buy a junk yard tranny it's a "pig in a poke" you don't know what your getting. It could have more miles on it then the original tranny. I thought about doing the job myself both times. Once I rented the tranny jack twice, and the cost of a rebuilt tranny and and torque converter was added in. I would of saved $150. It was not worth my time or effort for that little bit of money. Call around and find a Mom & Pop shop to do it. Most do a great job and are cheaper then the name brand or dealer places. Ask around, my shop has been in business for the last 50 years, same family.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I concur with Micki. Junkyard trannys are almost never a good idea. He should get the trans diagnosed before beginning any sort of repair. It's entirely possible you have a bad solenoid that is causing the problem.

13. MJD82

MJD82 Member

My wife had a 99 dodge caravan with the 3.0 at 95,000 it violently spit out the pinion gears through the side of the case destroying the trans braking a cv shaft and locking the motor up in one swift move. I will never buy another FWD chrysler product after that. The 96 trans should work but beware this is the first year of that bodystyle and that is when trannys started to grenade after the electrionic upgrade that year.

14. MickiRig1

When I was getting the first Windstar looked at I went to a few Transmissions shops. They all pointed out that all the minivans have weak transmissions. One shop had 2 Caravan's. He said you think you have a problem? Those 2 have the transmission's aluminum case eroded away. Not only do they need rebuilt, but they need a new case too. So the owner gets dinged almost twice as much!

15. miltonplower

from ontario

no he's not going to a shop they over charge you every time and they always ''find'' other stuff that's wrong