1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I know its July BUT - need help with estimating quotes for CONTRACTUAL resi snowplown

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by RonWin, Jul 26, 2012.

1. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

A few of the accounts that i landscape for are asking how much it would be to include snow removal for a year long contract. The problem is this last winter was my first year in the snow plowing biz and i plowed maybe 5-7 times on NONcontractual accounts. I live in Albany, NY and am not sure how many times i should guestimate that i will be out there plowing. 2 years ago we got a TON of snow and i do not want to shoot myself in the foot if i don't cover myself. I am leaning towards getting ALL contract agreements for this upcoming season if possible. I am still not sure how much i should be plowing and know that guys say you can charge different ways like per push, but im a rook and push a lot as i am still learning really how to operate. I WILL NOT GO UNDER ANYONE ELSE! I want to try to make it myself and so i need some help. Any advice isDESIRED and if anyone is from ny and can let me know how to charge or what to expect that would be greatly appreciated also. Thanks alot guys, Ron. P.S. I hope that theres still people on this site and not all on lawnsite.com ATM!

I run an 09 f250 reg cab (atm 22k miles) with a 2011 Fisher HD series 8' plow (pretty much brand new cuz i used it 5 times last year).
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

All depends on what way you want to go. Per plow you could be sitting home most of the winter or plowing every day .The same with seasonal,to much plowing and you might lose.You need to know either way how much snow fell and ave time guys went out to plow over the last few years.
  3. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

grandview, i feel that i would like to do contracts and let me tell you why. I dont have any other job except for plowing so i would actually NOT mind having to go out multiple times to plow. I think that this would also allow me to have some money held down in a sure fire fashion. The problem last year was i had all per time accounts and the winter screwed me. Now if mother nature pulled a fast one and unleashed the snow storms of the century i understand i would be doing a lot of work but i guess it wouldnt be too bad due to having the money/work availible. What i also HATED last year was running into the problem of it snowing but not reaching my 2" trigger OR hitting it and having someone lightly yank my chain that plowing was not needed. Contracts would eliminate this grey area. What do you guys do for your business plan/setup as pertaining to pertime/contract in a ratio? 75% contract 25% per time? I think that this would be best for me but am not really sure how the "pro's" do it.
  4. grandview

All seasonal,live or die by them. Seasonal 2 inch trigger I might wait to see if it gets to 3 inches ,then go ,if per plow you sneak out jut a little below 2 inches. If your new you might want to stick with per plows till you get the feel of it.
  5. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i do not do resi but i would listen to grandview.....a pro's pro
  6. grandview

For some reason I was thinking commercial. Driveways are seasonal only. Anything over 3 inches go out and plow. I based my drives when I did them on 25 plows. This way you don't need to wait for a phone call and they don't need to call you to come out. Keep plowing your route until done ,then check the approaches to make sue they are cleared out then go home to bed. No need then to worry about billing or anything else/ 3 payments are do,1st at signing one in Jan. the last in Mar.
  7. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

Trigger amount will affect number of pushes per season.
    2'' trigger = 25 pushes (+-) as Grandview posted.
    Zero tolerance = 35-40 (+-)
    Albany NY average annual snowfall is what 55-60 inches?
    I'm 35 miles west and north of you and our annual snowfall is upwards of 85-100 inches, so my numbers may not work for you.