1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I know it's early....

Discussion in 'Weather' started by PlowMan03, Aug 24, 2006.

1. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I know it's almost the end of August but I have been wondering what kind of winter we will have here in the NE. I am hoping it will be way better then last winter :realmad: I have herd from some older people that if you see a wasp nest close to the gound it will be a mild winter but if you see one up in the trees it's gonna be a bad winter, soo far I have seen 3 half way up a tree, I hope the older guys are right.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

We will have snow - between 1" and 200".

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The farmer's Almanac said a big storm Dec.8th

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

O.K. I'll play.
    The W.A.S.P. nests are from 6ft to 9ft off the ground in my area this year.
    It has all ready snowed in the lower 48 this season in the high country of Colorado and Montana. The lows in Montana have been in the upper 20s already this season.
    here is a pic from the other day.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Last summer it rarely got above 90 and there was a mild winter. This summer has had many days of 95+ temps. Last summer was rainy and this one was relatively dry. This summer was much different than last so maybe this winter will be much different than last:)

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Most of the W.A.S.P.s in my area are at the beach for the summer though some go to the poconos. there are a large number of plus 6 footers but none of them are 9 foot. :rolleyes:

7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I've got a whole bunch of wasp's laying in my yard belly up from being sprayed with RAID. Guess I just contributed to having another mild winter...sorry guys but I hate wasps & hornets.

Buck

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

When I have a bunch of wasp's laying belly up in my yard, their is also a lot of empty beer cans laying around too. lol :waving:

Buck.Maybe you should offer bug extermination to your customers?
    There thick around here this year too. The nests have been all most as big as basketballs.

9. Up North

Up North Senior Member

LOL! The beer cans I had just picked up a week ago or so as I actually had to mow for the first time in almost a month. That's how I found the hornets nest...or actually they found me I think. I would offer bee extermination but I swelled up pretty good after that last sting...my Michelin Man looks turned into the Michelin Man on steriods!:D

Buck

10. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Hey dont always say early. We got over 2 feet overnight on November 17th last year. There weren't too many people prepared. I put my plow on just in case, and it was a good thing. Our area wasn't supposed to get anything. We ended up getting it the worst :drinkup:

11. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

WASP Nest In my Truck Mirror

I to have noticed the nest being tucked up In hidden areas...Also I had a Nest In my remote truck mirror.
    I too... hope that we have a real winter this year.

12. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

last 2 weeks the mornings have been getting pretty cool winters on its way.

anyone still bother to read the farmers almanic? last years was way off i'm still waiting to hear about this year hopefully its decent snow.

13. cha-chas plowin

cha-chas plowin Member

bring on the snow

i have been ready so let it snow:yow!: :gunsfiring:

14. Daner

The Cedars

The Cedar trees have more seeds and they are droping eary this year...A true Sign of a stormy winter:yow!:

15. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

I talked with a couple of "OLD-TIMERS" and they told me to watch the spider webs in bushes. If the web is low to the ground...Not too much snow! If the webs are high in the bushes they're planning for alot of snow cover. They also told me to get out of the business because it's so cut-throat and the winters are not what they used to be! I know they're right about one of the two!:salute:

16. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Gotta watch those "old timers"...they tell you to get out of the business because it's cut-throat, no snow, etc. and who ends up with your accounts? Wise they are...:nod: :D

Buck

17. Daner

I love your theory Charles.

18. Daner

weather

Also this year we had more rain than last year...so...Its also been diferent up here as well:)
    What does that mean?
    Damm more snow this year:) purplebou

19. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Hows it going everyone? I'm thinking of buying another truck for the business next year but was thinking why wait if I could make money plowing this year with it. I just hate to make that decision on a catipillere nest being so far off the ground, but I also believe some of the old timmers methods are better then some of the Hi tech we have today!

Mak.

20. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine