1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I know how to crack welds on Boss-V plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Yardworks, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

Unfortunately I found a manhole cover on Thursday. There is two drives I have that only have a base layer of asphalt down. Each one has 3 manhole covers about 1 inch above the level of the asphalt. I complained about them this fall when I saw the problems they were going to present. The project manager had the Asphalt company come in and ramp around them all. I don't think they used any tackcoat because after the first time I plowed half of them had the asphalt tear up around the manhole covers. I just had to be careful after that. But after a 3 week stretch of no snow I forgot about one of them. :( I wasn't going very fast, but fast enough to tweek my one cutting edge. (I was in the scoop position and only hit one side) Luckily the cutting edge took most of the damage. It ever so slightly tweeked that side of the plow. Also I was lucky that these cutting edges were almost wore out and I had a new set in the garage. I have been checking my center pivot (thanks to your guy's heads up) all year. Well this manhole cover was enough to crack the weld on the bottom pivot point. It could have been worse, but it sure ruined my day.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Had the same thing happen to me once, except that I wasn't exactly going slow--broke 2 motor mounts.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

And people say that urethane edges and bottom trip plows are not a good idea. Its just for those reasons that steel edges are old school.
    Dino

4. Mark Oomkes

Dino, give me a break this happened about 10 years ago before I had even heard of urethane edges. So far the ones you sent haven't worn at all. LOL.

5. plowking35

from SE CT

I am sorry, that was a little strong. I think that my comment is more directed at the boss engineers than anything else. That type of hit is exactly why full trip doesnt work on that plow. And to add insult to injury, the plow cracks to boot. Now 10 yrs ago boss was the only option, so kudos to you for being cutting edge at the time.
    Now in this type of hit, the u edge would have abosrobed most if not all the impact and left the coffee in the cup holder, and the plow in un harmed.
    Sorry if I offended anyone, not my intent.
    Dino

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Boss makes a tripedge straight blade youd think they would put that technology on the V where it would do some good.

7. Mark Oomkes

Dino, none taken. We are starting to wise up--just a lot of hard headed Dutch people around here.

8. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I would post a reply but waiting to reply to someone who knows what they are talking about,especially after talking to quite a few with westerns with catastrophic frame failure.

9. plowking35

from SE CT

Cant say as to western frame failures, havent seen any yet. I have heard alot about those great boss plows cracking tho.
    Did read alot posts about bad paint on westerns, maybe you confused the two topics.
    Anyway, I have been over many a man hole cover and catch basis with the trip edge v plow with a stel edge, and still makes for a bumpy ride. But with the impact absorbing nature of the u thane edge, its alot easier on the truck and plow.
    Dino

10. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Chances are that, if you're seeing cracked welds, it was not the result of one severe impact. A gross overload of a structural joint weld is more apt to produce tearing of the base metal at the root of the weld. Cracked welds, where the adjoiing sections are not displaced, are normally the result of repeated stress (fatigue), in this case the vibration from normal plowing. The crack will usually start where the weld stopped, in the "crater" at the end of the bead. If the welder (human) or the robot didn't or wasn't programmed to fill the crater it is a prime spot for a stress raiser and incipient weld failure. Cracks that originate at the start of a weld can often be traced to lack of fusion where the base metal was cold at the start. Both problems can be traced back to improper welding procedures.

And Dino is right, using urethane edges will greatly cut down on the severity of plow impacts. I was really surprised at how much of the normal vibration the urethane eliminates and how many less trips you get overall.

[Edited by Alan on 01-29-2001 at 11:03 PM]

11. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

My point exactly Dino other what little info you derive from posters here you know very little about what goes on else where, and would be very surprised if your personal experience with western V plows is very extensive other than my be a couple of blades so get back to us when you learn a little more.

12. plowking35

from SE CT

Woaaaah Dig, no need to take it personally. I havent seen to many boss plows, or have used them. But I have used a few. But from what I have read here,many who have them have had weld issues. In fact a whole thread devoted to that topic was here a few weeks ago. In that thread, was asked about fisher / western v plows, and very few responded.
    I have also seen many different brands of plows reduced to scrap from poor operators.
    In fact since I have started installing u edges, I have seen about every type of plow out there, I need to, I have to be able to answer the tech ? people have for mounting the edges.
    I also remeber being a yard where the guy had 12 boss v's in a row, and all had alot of extra weld in them.
    But anyway, when I get some more info I will get back to you. It may take a while, as you know I am a little slow.
    Like most of us life is an education, and I am always adding to mine. Keep an open mind, knowledge finds us when you least expect it.
    Dino

13. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Dang I'm just not as good as I used to be at getting you riled up I wanted to get the little burning file again,by the way I have 8 Boss' no broken welds and I'm using college student.

14. plowking35

from SE CT

I dont think age has anything to do with it. I have a 21 yo driving for me this year, and he is so easy on the truck. He takes care of the truck like its his own. He actually takes pride in its appearence. Every Monday that truck comes back spit shined and polished.
    I also have a 45 yo and he beats the heck out of that truck. Guess who drives a nicer truck??
    I am just happy at times to have a warm body to put in a truck.
    Dino

15. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

Dino,
    I do know for a fact that boss is having problems with their Poly V Plows. I know two plowers in this with brand new plows that have taken theirs back for broken or bent V's. There seems to be a weakness of support areas or as John said previously poor welds. Boss's warranty is not standing behind bending or broken welds as they are saying they must of hit something. Ya right! Was going to go with a V next year any suggestions?

16. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

Dino, I have heard that Western/Fisher V plow had problems with A frame first year. They recalled and replaced with a larger size.
    Dig is that the problem your talking about.
    I run Fisher, always have, that's what I started with, never let me down. Most importantly the dealers in Rochester are great. Original dealer is on the other side of city(30 miles away), good guys though, very knowledgable. Two years ago we got another dear, around 1-2 miles up the road from me, great shop, prices are much better, almost as good as aftermarket.

17. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

You guys are making me nervous!
    Better get out and look at all our Boss V's
    Can't say we had any problems with cracks yet.Only the one problem with the 10'V.Knock on wood....

18. plowking35

from SE CT

That problem was with the fisher v plow only. the western uses a different a frame. I have the first year western plow, and never a problem. They have also changed the valving some, to stop wing creep. But douglas dynamics stood behind the product 100% in all cases.
    I am not bashing boss as to whether or not thet build a good v plow. They have to to be able to absorb all the stress it takes due to a poor trip design. Their hydros are way fast tho.Like The lawn guy said, boss uses a trip edge on a straight plow, why not use it on a vplow where it will do some real good.
    For my money I think the western v plow is the best all
    around v plow out there. The fisher is a close second, but has a few design details that I like better in the western.
    Dino

19. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I think BOSS should incorporate both trip designs into their V-Plows. After having damaged a: Right wing, Center section, and T-Bar on my Boss 8'2" after it failed to trip while going 12 mph and hitting a raised manhole cover. From that day on, my hood to fender line isn't straight (bent truck Frame?) All but one cutting edge bolts broke on right side. From now on, no more street plowing(pre-dedicated developments). The only worry about a trip edge only V is what if you hit something at the point in the V position? Thats where the full trip/edge trip combo would shine!

I lke my BOSS and its built in lift and speed of lift, but hate the tripping (or lack thereof)

20. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Not for nothing Dixie,I wouldn't take that type of job for any kind of money.
    In fact we go around in the fall on all our contracts and fix all manholes,catch basins,and potholes.Great extra cash to get going.To boot we switched to u blades.
    Sorry you had so many problems with your V.I agree that they should have a bottom trip.
    Good Luck