1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I knew it would happen!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by farmertim, Mar 3, 2003.

1. farmertim

farmertim Member

1 plowable event this year so far,
    2 days of snow, 2 3/4 inches of the lightest fluff I have ever seen on bare dry gravel drives and they call me to plow!
    I did my door yard and it wouldn't even stay on the molboard, it all landed up on my hood.
    Got to the end of the push and made a pile with my snow brush of the windshield!
    My trigger is 3 ". The first 4 to 5" is stated in the contract to be packed down for a base, but do you think they can read?
    I so happens they are my new seasonal contracts and don't seem to understand the terms of the contract.
    and the biggest pain is a lawyer with a 50 foot vertical for a drive and is complaining his plumer can't get up his drive because it faces north and it has iced over?
    Oh well, I will do my best, but I'm only plowing those who call.
    For every 1 that is complaining I have 4 to take their place.
    I wish I would snow and get it over with, much easier to deal with.
    Thanks, I feel better now, carry on....:waving:
  2. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

im not picking on you or anything,but u might wanna check over your spelling better.you lost me after the third line.i do it all the time.miss spell things.just wanted to let you know because i get emails saying the spelling in my post is wrong and they can't make out what im trying to say.
  3. fastrunner2

fastrunner2 Junior Member
    from ILL

what are you talking about, i can understand him perfectly, its plowsite, not a spelling contest.. Hes just tring to say that he sick of it not snowing, and when it does snow,, its barley not enough to go out and plow.. Dont feel bad, im across the lake from you in michigan and its not much better over here! good luck to ya!
  4. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well i was just leting him know because i get the emails and stuff all the time about my spelling.just don't wanna see him go through the same crap
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

With spell check now available to us, there's really no excuse for poor spelling anymore.

In my area , the terms of your contract wouldn't be accepted, everyone wants to see pavement. But, since you've stated they should expect the ice in your contract, they really have no complaint.
  6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

It's called LITERACY, and it matters!

You're right, it's NOT a spelling contest, but that doesn't mean you should demonstrate illiteracy in everyday communication. What's wrong with knowing how to spell, punctuate, capitalize and use proper grammar? And why should it be a chore to do so?
  7. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

divided group

Is it just me or during the last month or so it seems like a divided group. It seems to me that this site has become somewhat of a midwest vs eastcoast. I read and respect all posts iam the worse at spelling and punuation but i even make fun of that fact on here no big deal you must beale to read it or you wouldnt respond. It seems anytime guys from Minn, Wisc, Ill Mich post theres always some smart *** comment made , well i myself dont really care go back and open some old threads about the east coast storm i for one wished everyone of you good luck and prayed for all of you to return back to this site safe, it seems to me its all about the eastcoast, well you had a good season iam glad for you. We the guys from the above states have not, we have shared our frustrations just remember if the shoe was on the other foot i know for a fact the same whining would take place. Dont you think its a little hard to read post from guys who dont want anymore snow cause there just tired or no place to put it come on fellows remember the cardinal rule watch what ya wish for. I hope this is not the case maybe its just how i read i care about everyone on here eastcoast, west, midwest , and i have learned so much from everyone , but i would dare to say when someone posts ot starts a thread and there run in the dirt they probley will become readers not responders. Its the respones that make this site fun and educational.
  8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

What I can't understand is why any suggestion to improve a person's posting skills is often met with opposition on this site.
    This quote could be interpreted to mean that those in the plowing profession are less educated and shouldn't be expected to know how to spell. This is how the public and your customers can view you if they happen upon this site.

This discussion comes up now and then and it seems there is a true division of opinions on it. I prefer to appear on an even playing field with the professionals I serve. Previous to the addition of spell check, a dictionary was required to be on hand to check spelling. Believe me, if you can communicate on the same level or above as your customer, they will be more inclined to accept a premium fee for your services.

I went back and read my post to farmertim. I guess it could be seen as being critical of his contract, but that wasn't the intent. I was pointing out the differences in expectations between regions, in my area you'd be subject to lawsuit for intentionally creating an ice condition. The gravel drives would be much easier to clear with a base on them, but my customers wouldn't accept that. There are parts of upstate NY that cater to snowmobiling tourists that allow the same conditions. The secondary roads are left with a coating of snow or ice to allow the sleds to ride them.

No one's picking a fight, some of us would like to improve the public's perception of our industry. Unless I'm "havin' some fun" with a member, I try to make my posts grammatically correct.
  9. Give him a break!

There would not be much bickering going on, here at PlowSite.com, if it was snowing everywhere.

It's not East Coast vs. Mid west, it's snow vs. no snow!

farmertim was just venting. If I type when I am tired or I am thinking faster than I can type, look out. I might spell O.K. but I might use the wrong word or forget a word.

I didn't expect to see so much "BASHING" of fellow professionals.

Sorry Tim, Fellow Farmer and Plow Guy
  10. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Did anyone actually spell check farmertims post?

Well I did and it only had three spelling mistakes in it. His post is still understandable and not impossible to read. Seems like everyone is blowing this out of proportion, all this fuss over three misspelled words.:confused:
  11. farmertim

farmertim Member

Fluff update

O'k sorry about the spelling, my e-mails are monitored before they go out but for some reason it doesn't work on this site.
    I got there last night, less than two inches fluff, was able to plow the 50' vertical uphill never broke traction, took shoes off for the hill took it right down to the ice, ya get what ya ask for, left them a bag of salt as a hint.
    Up here there is very little blacktop, I'm actually happy when I get a contract that a road was actually built and gravel was used.
    Most of my drives are bulldozed in which leaves banks of about 1 foot on each side and bowling balls in the middle, hence the 4/5" of snow for pack to even things out.
    We are seeing a large movement of people up here into what was always considered "summer cabins" that are now occupied year round.
    If they do rebuild and most do, they don't spend a dime on the drive which can be a mile long.
    Sure its great in the summer, leaves brushing your car as you arrive to your retirement, but not a pretty picture in the winter.
    All the pics I see from manhole damage and such is nothing compared to what condition some plows are around here.
    I have tried to form a cooperative of plowers to address this situation but to no avail.
    Any hints would be appreciated, they are going to have to pay accordingly or hire a road builder, but enter the cut rate guy who is in for a year and messes up all the routes for snow!
    I'll take your east coast 24" any day if I can see blacktop where Ive been two days later!!!
    Thanks and again any hints to organizing would be appreciated, the only good thing is that over the past three years 7 guys have quit plowing for above mentioned reasons, not many of us left but we are an independent mob arn't we...
  12. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Do you know why its hard for us MW'ers to type well? Cause its hard to type with those big yellow chore gloves on. :D :D :D Looks like we're supposed to get up to 12" tonight. I'll believe it when I see it. I love talking with these East Coastrs. They have so much more experience. And they're better looking, jump higher, run faster, you get the idea. Oops, just me venting again:eek:
  13. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Looks like Farmertim is the only one staying on topic. Why can't the rest of you do the same? Post your trivial rantings on some other site.

Same thing here, Farmertim, with the seasonal tourists staying year round. The drives aren't designed for wintertime. It gets interesting trying to plow them out. They are usually suprised when they get the bill too! I have turned down many that were too steep or lined with trees too close for comfort.
  14. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

"I love talking with these East Coastrs. They have so much more experience. And they're better looking, jump higher, run faster, you get the idea."

I detect some sarcasm in that statement. You mean that's not really true? ;)

I agree with Bob V's comment:
    It's not East Coast vs. Mid west, it's snow vs. no snow!

I've been on this site since '99, before it split off from Lawnsite to become it's own identity. I had 1 plowable snow last year & I believe 2 the year before that. And we had plenty of ribbing back and forth between those of us complaining about all of the snow hogs for those seasons, & those of us who were plowing the snow. I don't remember which regions we from this area were complaining about because the region didn't matter. It was simply the guys & gals getting tons of snow & the guys & gals not getting it having fun with each other, but the ribbing was always good natured and there were never any bad attitudes toward anyone that I can remember. Being in this business & knowing so many people from all over from this site, I watch a lot of The Weather Channel & I'm always hoping every storm system that pops up on the maps turns into a snow maker for all locations that the systems go through. And I'm bummed when I see rain in other areas, and I'm bummed to see some areas having drought conditions (we've had a long term type drought for the past 3 years that I'm sure this past fall & winter has finally broken). There would have been nothing I would have liked to do more than take the 20" storm we just had and change it to 4" that was spread out amongst all of the areas of our plowsite Members, but lucky for me I can't really do that ;) .
    It's frustrating to be in this business & not be able to do anything about what Mother Nature dishes out for us, but that doesn't mean we should be taking it out on our fellow snowplowers. We're all playing the same gamble here.

Thanks for your wishes & prayers. I do the same when I see other areas getting hit hard so I know where you're coming from. I love seeing threads titled "OK MN guys, how much are we getting?" "Get ready Indy plowers" etc. etc. just as much as similar threads for my area. I get excited for other areas getting excited about a good storm coming also. Kinda wierd, and my wife tells me that all the time. "Why do we care if that storm dumps big snow way over there??" She doesn't get it I guess LOL. It will never happen but I wish we could all get tons of snow each season.

"Cause its hard to type with those big yellow chore gloves on."
    That was also a very funny one!!

I don't envy you with the conditions you mention. Not sure I would put my trucks through that kind of abuse. Good luck & Think Snow!
  15. SCL

SCL Senior Member

OK I'll get on topic, (I'll call it OT from now on;) )FTim, could you sell these folks some salting? There's good money in it and you don't have to wait for a trigger. I've only plowed twice this year, as opposed to a whopping 4 times last year, but I've made it up on some salting for clinics and such. Just an idea. I'll get back to being OFT (off-topic) now.
  16. farmertim

farmertim Member

sell'em salt

Hey SCL.
    I have thought about starting a salt and or sand spreading business to go along with the snowplowing or better term lack of it but NOBODY does it up here.
    The commercial lots don't even spread only entrances on the side walk and not even the whole side walk.
    It use to be to cold up here for salt to work but that is changing and I see the need to branch in to this.
    But I don't know if I am up to starting another trend in the area. It makes sense but so does building a good road and trimming trees back which most around here don't want to do.
    I do plan to talk to a few people who have large new blacktop lots that right now you can't tell for it is covered in a thin layer of about 6 very light snow falls to see if salting would be an option.
    I'm very interested in magic salt, and can probably buy salt sand for above mentioned drives which are to say the least not blacktop.:waving:

PS do you know a Rita Humphreys of the Dixon Humphreys?
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2003
  17. SCL

SCL Senior Member

You could try getting into it to see pretty reasonable. Even if you have to get an inexpensive tailgate spreader. If youve got new buildings with blacktop and an element that has money moving in you could pronanly seel it.
    As far a Rita goes, she lives a mile from me, and I know all the Humphreys. Small world huh?
  18. farmertim

farmertim Member

Fluff update 2

Ok so I go up to this PITA drive and plow it down to the ice as asked to do and do the 3/4 mile long drive with about 2 inches max.
    I end up breaking my 4th headlight off this year cause it was so ruff.
    I sarcastically leave a bag of salt thinking they would be upset to think I thought they had not thought of it in their 24 years of owning the place!

I get a call at supper time last night and these people are falling all over me and telling me what a great job I did and they couldn't't be happier!!

I don't get, just how bad of a job did the past three contractors do over the past three years for me to get this kind of response?
    And I was not out to impress anybody, I just did what I could with what they have to work with,
    If I had taken my loader up there and scraped it down to the gravel or sand as the case may be they probably would have adopted me!
    Has the work ethic eroded so far that a mediocre effort has replaced perfection?
  19. Tim

I know what you mean.

Signed up new guy in middle of Jan. and it was a mess. Not plowed for awhile and I told them a bit more than most, being 1/2 way into season. Well plowed 6 or so times and once plowed end open and showed as "NO CHARGE" on the bill.

Ran into her in the drive one day, she says "Great job, we are very pleased, keep up the good work". I was floored, go figure. Even been in at below trigger several times and no complaints.

Keep up the good work, sometimes the PITA ones will surprise you!
  20. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

ON the snow vs no snow issue i see it this way: last year my area got a total of like 4 inches and i don't think any of that came more than one inch at at time. This year we have gotten around 60inches of snow plus some icy stuff (quick salt run). This just proves what goes around comes around. So if this year is a bust maybe next year or the year after will be your "time to shine"