1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I keep breaking fittings....

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by stewthesoldier, Dec 16, 2007.

1. stewthesoldier

stewthesoldier Junior Member

That connect the angling rams' hydro hoses to the block on the pump. If I push too hard into a pile of snow and the blade rides up, the fittings break because the a-frrame seems to be hitting them. Once one of the hoses hooked onto the arm where the lift chain attatches and ripped the hose. Any tips other than keeping spare parts, fluid and tools in the truck? Thanks!

2. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

secure w/ wire ties out of the way of piching areas

3. stewthesoldier

stewthesoldier Junior Member

I have the right ram hose possitioned parallel the the front of the truck, so it is out of the way, but the left one; there is no room to angle it, the other fitting is to the right, the lift ram to the left of it. Not so much that it is getting "pinched", but more so pushed up and snapped at the 90* fitting.

4. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

two options.

one, add a u shaped metal guard over the top of your plow to act a stop so it doesn't rid up so high when you stack.

two, make sure your hoses are long enough to allow flex without the hose kinking when the plow rides up Too short hose length may snap the fitting as the plow rides up.

always carry extra hoses and fittings!

5. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

Didn't see what kind of plow you have, but here's what happened to me once. Older Fisher conventional plow. I removed the angle pistons to clean, paint, and change the hoses. When I put them back on, I mounted them with the fittings on the outsides instead of toward the A-frame (accidentaly, wasn't paying close enough attention when removing). Mounted this way, the fittings would be sheared off by the lower mount when stacking snow. I replaced the fittings and realized what I did. Remounted them with the fittings in, and never a problem again.

Just a thought.

6. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

maybe possible to put a piece of small tube or metal stock on the top of the a frame so it hits on the pump frame when it comes up and keeps it lower than the fitting.also turn the fitting as suggested above.

7. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I just had this problem with our 10 ft Meyers. We found out that the holes that the angle cylinder connects to were wore out and oblong, letting the letting the cylinder move on contact, shearing the hose fitting right off. We had to cut the brackets out and weld in new ones with the proper size hole. Case Closed.