1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I just replaced my U - Joints

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MickiRig1, May 29, 2010.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I just replaced my U - Joints on my f-250 LD. Is there really a need to have the bolts torxe's? That's not a fastener you want exposed to the elements all the time.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What's wrong with Torx? They lasted 20+ years, no?

3. MickiRig1

They were rusted out on the tips. A regular bolt head you could use a SAE or the next size down Metric. Torx have big steps on sizes. I see why Advance has the bolts and straps available. The average guy would destroy them getting them off.
    I have all the sizes / styles to work on stuff. But the average guy would be screwed!
    Like I said is there really a need to make them Torx ?

4. MickiRig1

This was on my 99 F-250. Not the Big Red Drain. It's got good old 9/16's nuts.

5. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

two words, TORX PLUS, get a set you will love them, keeps from stripping out, a little more beef in the splines